Gr-r-r-r! And Phooey!

Have any of you had this experience? I have a doll that I just can’t make work. (Sweetpea asleep.) It was supposed to be a keeper portrait of my husband as a little boy because tf vaguely looks like him so I thought, this will be easy, right? WRONG. First the skin color refused to be anything but red, red, red. I did wash after wash of green and umber…still red. Okay. I decided it will just be a red baby. I’ve done my best and I can’t get it. Well, I couldn’t live with that. I put the doll away for months. Then I pulled him out to work some more…the give it one more try. (I hate failure!) I again tried to kill the now shiny-ish red. I pulled it into the realm of vaguely acceptable. I rooted him with cute blond curls. Gave him some little golden lashes. He should be cute now, right. Wrong. He looked dolly and flat faced and RED again. I put him together anyway using the BB recommended body. His limbs and head flopped around like a rag doll. I left him like that and tried to rationalize selling him cheap. But in the end I couldn’t let anything like that come out of my nursery. So I took him apart and tried another body but it was not made for Sweetpea and his arms looked too long, his body too short…kind of monkeyish… I finally gave up last night and put the doll on my practice parts shelf. I hate even to look at it.

9 Likes

Sorry you’re having such a hard time with this one. It sounds really cute. Can we see pictures? Maybe you could get a custom body since this one’s a keeper. Spearson Doll Bodies make nice, design your own bodies based on the actual measurements of your doll. If you go to their website it tells you where and how to measure. I’m ordering one for my Corbin who has Celeste limbs. Some of the BB bodies just don’t fit well no matter what you do.

4 Likes

Maybe someday I might strip the kit and try again, but for now I don’t ever want to see it again. It’s dolly divorce! LOL

4 Likes

Oh, the poor baby! I’m sorry it’s been a pain. I guess he just had a strong opinion of how he wanted to look. Hopefully, he can find a mommy some day.

1 Like

:laughing: You crack me UP! :laughing:

Don’t feel bad ~ I once got sooooooo irritated that I threw a head out the window, forgot all about it, and that weekend my husband went out to mow the lawn and came in carrying the head. The look on his face was priceless. I said GIVE ME THAT HEAD and tossed it in the trash. He never said a word.

10 Likes

I had a problem with Francine by Kazmierczak. Her head is smaller than her limbs. She has teeny little eyes and I had to put her away when I started rooting her, as I was so dissatisfied with her looks that I thought time might change how I feel about her. However, every now and then I pull her out, and “nope, can’t do her”. So I understand dolly divorce. :negative_squared_cross_mark:

3 Likes

Exactly, Diane!

3 Likes

I totally get this one Helen, I did an asleep Sweet Pea and I did not like her at all. NOT AT ALL. I have seen some do them very nicely but mine had the Flattest face, I swear. She was a doll I will NEVER do again. I guess sometimes no matter what we do they just aren’t going to work!! Sorry for your aggrevation, it sucks !!

4 Likes

I did Sweet Pea Asleep and the body recommended didn’t work for me either, the arms are really long and the fingers very strange on the sculpt. I tried several bodies and now can’t remember which one I used, but it worked finally I have had some that you just say I quit and move on and use the parts.

6 Likes

Well yours looks a whole heck of a lot better than mine! You actually got a pretty nice complexion on yours. I don’t like the vinyl on mine on top of everything else.

1 Like

I agree with Helen, your’s is really nice and the face doesn’t look as FLAT as mine did.

1 Like

Oh…soooo sorry Helen…so frustrating…I wasn’t fond of that one either…here is mine from 2012…lol

4 Likes

Very Nice Starr----If mine would have looked like that I would have LOVED her. Your’s is beautiful. How is it that your’s doesn’t seem to have a flat face?

Ahh Lynn, Thank you…you are tooooo kind…lol :smile:

Like all your other babies, he’s really cute and well done. I wasn’t sure it was possible! Nice job.

Mine looks like he has a hand cramp and the pain is turning his face red, LOL!

2 Likes

Thank you ladies, I sure thought that left hand was weird though. Helen can you strip it and give it another go?

Yours is very well done, cute little boy.

Thanks Sheila…yours is lovely too…Mine is from about 3 years ago so my painting style has changed a but since then…can’t say it is a sculpt I would want to paint again though…lol :smile:

@Shera1 Maybe I’ll want to strip it someday, but if I do I think I’ll just use it for test parts. I’m not fond of that brow ridge. Maybe I could make a Neanerthal child?

2 Likes