Good brand of brushes?

Its time I start replacing my paint brushes. Especially the 2 I use for pouncing in some of the painting steps. I was never impressed with the set to start with but now the 2 are losing the brush hairs. Its really frustrating when working on a baby. I know a good set of brushes are costly. Thats ok as long as its a good brand that doesn’t go bald. HELP!!!

2 Likes

Deb-----don’t you think any brush will get destroyed when using it to pounce? Whether it’s cheap or expensive I would think they would only hold up so long anyway. Just a thought.

2 Likes

I’ve never pounced with a brush. I use a cosmetic sponge for that,
Mary

4 Likes

If the kit needs a wash applied I always paint the wash on and use a mop brush to pounce excess off. I do so many washes depending on the vinyl. It gives it a nice effect just before you do your flesh layers. When I do the flesh layers thats when I use the sponges. I also use a smaller mop brush when shadowing creases. I use them alot.

2 Likes

@lynn, I agree after so much use the brushes will wear out. But I know there are better brushes out there then others. I just hate buying them and finding out the hard way they are no good. :frowning:

I have bought more expensive brushes from Michaels when they were on sale and I had a coupon. However, I still find that the mop brushes lose hairs even though I comb through them before use. I do use a mop brush to even out blushing.

2 Likes

I use Maxine’s Mop brushes from Lowe Cornell for getting excess paint out of creases and for applying blush. They get a bit ragged looking, but I clean them with thinner and wash them with Murphey’s Oil Soap after each baby and they don’t seem to be shedding.

4 Likes

@pia Lowe Cornell must be the brand. What stores carry this? Thanks for the Murphy’s oil Soap tip. Switching all my brushes to that. :slight_smile:

JoAnns carries the Maxine’s Mop brushes. I think BB has them too.

2 Likes

I too use Maxine’s mops; they are the best quality from all those I tried. They soak up the excess paint the best and are lovely and soft. I use them to get paint out of creases and applying washes, but I do not pounce with them, for that I use wedges. I would expect they will also wear out if used for pouncing.

2 Likes

Stephanie from HunnybunsNursery carries a couple of Maxine Mop Sets at really good prices. For $40.00 + shipping you can get a 12 brush set including 5 Maxine Mops. I do use the Mops for pouncing out creases like Pia and if you take care of them they wear slightly, but last better than others and I lose very few hairs, if any. I’ve had my set for several years and just ordered a new set from Stephanie since it was such a good price;

Susan

3 Likes

WOW - that is great pricing on the brushes. The 1/4" ones are really hard to find and they have them on special too! I will definitely remember them the next time I need to order brushes. Thanks Susan!

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for the tips!!! Will be making some new pruchases. :hearts: