Glue for hair bows?

Good morning everybody!!! What glue do y’all use to glue the magnet on a hair bow?
I have a hot glue gun but I have never used it and I guess I’m scared it’s messy. :joy: I don’t want to ruin things… which is my new specialty!

3 Likes

Omg girl! You’ve never used a hot glue gun??? I foresee so many crafty things in your future all glued up!

Hot glue can be a bit messy but if you put the glue in the magnet you should be ok. Less surface to bungle. The strings and drips from the glue gun set quick and either snip or pull off pretty easy.

I’d test it though to see if hot glue will hold on the magnet depending on which kind you are using. Might not grab on a shiny one?

2 Likes

I use a glue gun. Practice on a paper plate until you get the hang of it. You barely have to pull the trigger. Also, lay the glue gun on it’s side (also on a paper plate) when you’re not using it so it doesn’t drip and waste a lot of glue. Watch your fingers. That glue is really hot!.

4 Likes

The fingers thing is the best advice ! :laughing:

3 Likes

Thanks guys!!! I’ll let you know how my first glue gun experience goes!!! I hope I have paper plates.
Why don’t I have paper plates??? That’s a brilliant idea for glue… and for food!!! I have been doing all these dishes everyday for nothing! I never even once considered this alternative!!! I feel like a new door opened in my universe. Paper plates. :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

5 Likes

Walmart has packs of 100 10" plates for under just under $10. I use them all the time for lots of things, including food. For the glue, make sure they’re the paper ones. It will melt styrofoam.

3 Likes

Good advice!!! I added them to my shopping list!

2 Likes

I use E6000 on anything that is metal like the magnets. I take a bead of glue with a tooth pick and apply it to the back of the flower/bow or on the magnet and gently press them together. I would suggest that before you glue make sure your magnet inside the head and the one you are using for the bow are in a position that they stick together and do not repeal each other.

3 Likes

Good advice!!!

Usually you can’t really ruin much with hot glue… if you don’t like it, it can usually be pulled off of your project while it’s still slightly warm. But if you touch it as soon as it comes out you will burn your skin. Otherwise it is very easy to use and less messy than other glues.

… Suddenly feeling old realizing I’ve been using hot glue for nearly three decades. :smile:

3 Likes

Does it hurt when it’s hot? Lol I’m nervous… I just need to do it. :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Yes it can blister you if you have the high heat glue, low heat if safer and works just as well. Can have a small bowl of ice water near you if you are scared. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It’s not a chemical burn, just the kind of burn you could get from a hot pan. The worst part is that your first instinct will be to remove the glue from your skin while it’s still hot, spreading it and burning yourself further. Dip it instead in your ice water dish, then peel it off!

2 Likes

hot glue burns suck.
No need to be scared of it. My teens use one just fine.
Just put a dot where you need then push the magnet on or vice versa. If the ribbon/fabric is thin press it on with a pencil or stick or what ever to avoid your finger getting burnt or really hot. :wink:

2 Likes

This is golden advice!!! Thank you!!! :kiss:

1 Like

Ok. I think I should do this at the kitchen table and not in the couch. :joy: This is serious stuff.

3 Likes

Definitely not a hanging out on the couch kind of craft. Lol

2 Likes

I use the glue gun for my bows. I pretty much burned off all my finger tips using it in my classroom. Those first few weeks of the school year are rough on teachers’ fingers.:joy:

2 Likes

I use super glue

2 Likes

@Nikkiroc I am cracking up that you’ve never used a hot glue gun before!! You’re going to burn yourself at least once but it’s not that bad haha

4 Likes