Glossing lips, nails, etc

When I first started making dolls I bought an air dry gloss to use after painting with ghs paints. I can’t remember where I bought it but it peeled off the lips right away and fingertips shortly after. After that I just tried using the pledge and it doesn’t make it as glossy as I would like. What can I try that works? Preferably something I could get at walmart but if not I do have a craft store I can go to about 30 minutes away. I really want to resolve this problem, it’s driving me crazy.

This is the stuff I have that peels.

3 Likes

Aleena paper glaze. I used that before but I’m looking for something that’s not so glossy

3 Likes

I do like this one for gloss on nails, can mix with the matte for less of a shine …I got mine from Still Moments Nursery in Australia. If only using for nails, it lasts and lasts.
Real Effect Air Dry - Clear Gloss 40ml
“Real Effect Color” by Nicky Creation, Germany
clear%20gloss
also … Real Effect Air Dry - Clear Mattlack varnish 40ml
a%20thinner

Just another option, I’m sure you will get many more from the forum users. Everyone has their own preferences.

2 Likes

I use that Waterborne Gloss. It is good for tears and slobber. I used it to make spit bubbles with glass beads. I also use Mod Podge Matte to gloss. Make sure you pat it down with your finger to keep it from looking to shiny, Waterborne and the Mod Podge. Never had issues with either.

I use paper glaze. One lite coat. I don’t feel it’s too shiny.

3 Likes

I use Americana Soft Touch Varnish on the nails, applied with a small brush. It leaves a natural sheen without looking like a French manicure. I use it on the lips too, but then I use Mod Podge Gloss where I want them to look wet.

4 Likes

I’ll have to try the Soft Touch on the nails, thanks for that tip! @jeanhai

1 Like

I have that and thinkni will try that on my twins. :grin:

1 Like

Just make sure you stir it really well.

1 Like

I use this stuff on open mouths because I think it looks more realistic and I read that it doesn’t go milky coloured like paper glaze does. I use pledge on eyes though, just in case.

1 Like

Can you post a photo of the Americana

1 Like

How long does it take for paper glaze to get milky? I have a doll over a year and its fine

3 Likes

I have 3 yr old ones that are the same as the day I applied it.

2 Likes

@Kimmiee this is the one I use.

I think this is the new jar.
daadsoft_touch_varnish

2 Likes

Seems everyone does something different, makes it hard to decide the best option to go with. Think I’ll get a little bottle of a few of them and see what I like. Thanks everyone.

1 Like

Yes what works for one person will not work for someone else. We all have our own way and style. You just have to find it. That’s the fun!

I don’t know, but I have seen pictures and many people have said it happens eventually. It must take longer than 3 years since @jlesser has a baby that old with no problems. I just didn’t want to risk it, Id rather use pledge on the eyes.

Also, apparently it has a “shelf life” and will cause cloudy eyes as explained by Kim from Custom Doll Baby in this video Reborn with Me! Resin for Perfect Baby Tears - YouTube

I’ve had dolls with it for around 5 yrs, and no issues. If it was “expired” that would certainly cause it, but if it’s a new bottle it shouldn’t have any issues.

1 Like

That might be what it was, just expired or old. You never know how long something has been sitting on a shelf in the store or where ever it comes from on Amazon or wherever you buy it so I just decided not to use it.

That could be it for sure, I still use it though lol

1 Like