Glass Beads Weighting Materials?! :(

I’d been using BB glass beads for weighting. Someone in this forum recommended Harbor Freight for glass grit, and told me it was the exact same thing, but when I opened it just now, it’s like a fine powder, sand-type quality. I am afraid it is going to leak. Uggh. Did I buy the wrong thing at Harbor Freight? They only had one type. Does anyone else know where to save money on quality weighting materials? I am sad that this didn’t work out. :frowning:

I don’t know but I bought a whole bunch from BB with the $7.95 shipping.

2 Likes

It looks like they have two kinds according to their website 40/70 grit and 80. I am actually going to start to buying mine from there, I usually buy mine from Ebay. I seal my limbs with E6000 so no worry on leaking. I use gloves for the inside, they work my better than nylons or fabric.

Great idea! I didn’t even think of that. :smile:

Harbor Freight’s glass is like powder and is not suitable to use in the body unless it’s in a pouch that it can’t seep through. It can be used in the limbs, though, without any issues.

Meaning I didn’t buy the wrong thing? That is the only option there? :confused:

You cannot use this type in the torso without it leaking out but you can use the fine type from Harbor Freight in the limbs as long as you seal them properly so that they never leak. I do not use the BB limb plugs because I could never get them to stay in place without coming off over time. Instead, I take some of the craft foam sheets and cut out circles just larger than the limb opening and slide them into the limb, just under the inner ledge so that they get caught in place. Then, I fill the opening flush with the outside edge with e-6000 glue and let it dry completely before attaching to the cloth body.

6 Likes

Correct, they only sell “powdery” glass beads. Use the hourglass above and search glass beads and you’ll find a ton of info and suppliers.

You can still use it, you just need to be sure if you are using in the body that you enclose them in something that won’t leak. I always use vinyl gloves now no matter what kind of beads I use because they won’t leak over time.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the tips! I am glad I can still use them. :smile:

Hi Ladies. I found something from Michaels called “Coarse Stone Granules” and was wondering if anyone has used these in weighting their reborn. They are really small and look and feel like fine grit glass beads. I realize this is an old post, but I hope someone can help answer this question. Thank You!!!