German rooting needles

Hi where can I get good german rooting needles . Gabby

I get mine at Doll Dreams.

Hi thanks so much , I did order a set from some where and either it’s me or the needle but they just don’t work , I can’t even see the fork on the end of the needle . Gabby

We also sell them. Here is a link to our German needles (imported from Germany):

http://www.bountifulbaby.com?tiny=31902

The German needle company is Groz-Beckert. That’s where everybody is buying them from (including us). But, here’s a little known secret. Take a look at these two photos:

This is a photo of the top of a typical Groz-Beckert box of 500 needles:

http://www.bountifulbaby.us/germanneedles/top.jpg

And here is a photo of the bottom of the same box:

http://www.bountifulbaby.us/germanneedles/bottom.jpg

In contrast, the American company that suppliers buy from is Foster Needle. Their needles are actually manufactured here in the United States.

Nevin

Thanks for the info , which is the best gauage to get ? 40 or 43 ?

— Begin quote from “Lucia”

Thanks for the information Nevin, when are you going to get the n. 43?

— End quote

Even though they are actually made in Portugal, Groz-Beckert is a German company. Importing them from Germany takes a very long time, and we are still a few weeks away.

Nevin

P.S. It would be nice to know who the Portugal company is, but we don’t know that. We wish we did.

What makes the German needles more preferred than others?

— Begin quote from “foxmom”

What makes the German needles more preferred than others?

— End quote

We’ve wondered that ourselves

Some people think German-made is higher quality than American-made. But those folks, when they buy “German” needles, don’t realize that they are actually preferring Portugal-made over American-made. We’ve never understood why they would prefer that, at least for the needles offered by both Groz-Beckert and Foster Needle.

However, there are some needles that Foster Needle doesn’t make, and Groz-Beckert has. So I can understand wanting those “German” needles, for the simple reason that they are not available anywhere else.

But for the needles that are offered by both companies, we have no idea why folks would prefer “German” needles.

Nevin

— Begin quote from “ILoveReborns”

My guess is that the german needles were advertised as stronger hence the popularity.

— End quote

The fewer side-barbs a needle has, the stronger it is.

— Begin quote from “ILoveReborns”

And they have those forked needles.

— End quote

…which don’t have any barbs on the side at all. Hence, for the needle size, they are very strong.

Also, Foster Needle doesn’t manufacture forked needles. As far as I know, they are only available from Groz-Beckert.

Nevin

— Begin quote from “BountifulBaby”

Also, Foster Needle doesn’t manufacture forked needles. As far as I know, they are only available from Groz-Beckert.

— End quote

I see it like that. To me, whenever the needle is referred to as “german needles” it should mean they forked needles.

I know that’s now how it is, but when I search Ebay for “german needles” I’m looking for fork…

While the barbs weaken the structure of the shaft, some needles are stronger, not necessarily because they have fewer barbs, but because of the actual material they are made of, and the way it is processed. Some needles are very hard and brittle, and others still have enough flexibilty remaining in order to flex rather than break. This can only be achieved through the proper amount of tempering of the metal.

I have some 42g ONE barb needles that I LOVE. They only root one or two hairs at a time and there is no visible hole. I could never get the German Forked needles to work for me. These are easier to use and they give me a better result than the forked needles. The forked needles I was trying to use, seemed to take a little piece of vinyl out when I was rooting and I didn’t like the look. With the one barbed ones, it looks just like the hair is growing out of the head. I have them on my website and I will ship them first class to save you on postage. This is a head I rooted with the needles.

Gina, Thank’s for letting us know, I just ordered some

Me too. I’m just not having good luck with any of the needles I’ve tried. I’m getting so frustrated with rooting altogether!

Thanks Gina! I just ordered some to try out! I’m so excited!

Hi and thanks for all the info on the needles , Gabby

I was looking for 40g German needles (on Ebay and the net in general) and discovered that searching for forked got the response I wanted.

I know that the forked needle is supposed to only pick up one or two hairs but that is not true - I pick up 3 to 8 easily. So maybe I got a bad brand - and I didn’t get them from BB. I haven’t measured the outside gauge of the needle but I can and will.

I have an idea that the gauge is about the outside of the needle and a 42 is bigger than a 43 and it makes a bigger hole in the vinyl. Does anyone know what size the slot in the fork is? Is it smaller on the 43 than the 42 and therefore less hairs might fit?

I had already planned to buy 40g from BB and now I will buy the 42g too and see how they compare with the ones I have that picked up from 1-8 hairs. Once I get them I will examine with a microscope and see if there is a difference.

Baby in picture below was rooted, exclusively, with a 42g forked needles from who knows where and it took 28.5 hours.

I will say that I have the BB forked needles and they work great for me…they are strong too. I don’t think I have broken one yet either! They last forever and ever! I have not had to buy needles in about a year or so after buying them!

— Begin quote from “kimskids”

I will say that I have the BB forked needles and they work great for me…they are strong too. I don’t think I have broken one yet either! They last forever and ever! I have not had to buy needles in about a year or so after buying them!

— End quote

How do you get the hairs in the head? I have tried to use these, and I can’t get any hairs to go into the head lol!

1 Like

— Begin quote from “gogirlusa”

— Begin quote from “kimskids”

— End quote

How do you get the hairs in the head? I have tried to use these, and I can’t get any hairs to go into the head lol!

— End quote

You need to look at your needle under a magnifying glass and when you see the slot/fork mark the stem of the needle so you know where it is. When you root you need the slot/fork to pick up the hair so you position it over…mine work in my right hand at 20 past the hour.
Gina

1 Like