Funniest stories about taking a reborn in public, reactions, anecdotes etc

I thought it would be fun to have y’all post funny stories or reactions from people who have seen us in public with our “babies”

2 Likes

I had a grease fire in January this year, and was in the baking/cooling stage of the process, with body parts all over the kitchen table perched on homemade racks for legs and arms,etc. several heads lay on Cotten batting. We had to evacuate the house and I paid no thought to my “hobbie” that is, until the firefighters cleared the house allowing us to renter. The looks on their faces were priceless as they were sharing comments of the oddities in the kitchen…lots of strange looks when they passed me by…

3 Likes

A few years ago after completing a craft show we were packing the car. I had one of my sleeping babies in a wicker basket and while arranging the car had set the basket by the back tire. A gentleman passed by, we made eye contact and his look was one of shock and scorn. I had to explain it was just a doll. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was with my mom running some errands before we met some friends for lunch. I had preemie Megan with me in a big bookbag so I wouldn’t have to explain the doll to everyone. Anyway, we stopped by my mom’s hairdresser to show the “baby”. As I was taking the doll out, I explained that I had a doll I wanted to show. The hairdresser kept reminding me to support the head and I thought she was just playing around. A few minutes later she asked me if I had adopted her or given birth. :open_mouth: I didn’t know what to say. I then restated that she was a doll. Everyone laughed as she finally “got it”. She admitted she thought I was just saying the baby was adorable “like a doll”. I was more concerned that she thought I was carrying a baby around in a bag!

4 Likes

Ok so this happened yesterday i had taken my toddler out and i was going down the aisle now its really crowded in there so that makes this worse this lady accidentally bumped into me and off goes the head! she just screamed and ran out of the store while everyone just stared…moral of the story dont use the string that comes with the bodies use cable ties! i also may never go into that store again…

15 Likes

I did a custom Sugar for a lady to give her granddaughter for Christmas. Apparently the granddaughter had been asking for a baby since @ 8 years old she is still an only child. Grandmother decided to place Sugar in a bassinet and posed her as if she was asleep with a bottle, blanket and small stuffed animal. They called in her granddaughter so she could see,her Christmas gift. Grandmother told me that her granddaughter looked in the basket, froze for a few seconds and then burst into tears. They asked her what was wrong and she shouted through her tears…“I don’t want a baby sister…give her back, I really don’t want one.” She went on and on saying, “she’ll get all the attention.” My customer said that,it took them 10 minutes or more to convince her that it was a doll. Once they did she was ecstatic. They were really taken back by her reaction and say that the granddaughter seemed some what embarrassed. I’m told she loves the doll and (eeeek) takes her to school everyday. Apparently her teacher told her she could because the doll seems to keep all the second graders quieter.

10 Likes

Happy hump day reborn family!! Keep those stories coming, y’all are making my day! Lol,lol,lol,lol!

2 Likes

Oops, it’s Tuesday!

3 Likes

My husband was holding one of the babies when his guy friend came in. He asked him who’s baby it was. My husband said we were babysitting for the neighbor. He asked his friend if we wanted to hold him. Before he could move he threw the baby at least 4ft to him. You should have seen the look on his face. I thought he was going to have a heart attack trying to save that baby. Then I yelled at my husband for throwing my doll…lol.

17 Likes

a few years ago I had took one of my babies to show to a woman I worked with.,on our way home we stopped at the grocery store. not thinking anything about it we go inside… come out about 20 min. later and we have the police around our car ready to break the windows out! I walked passed the car, lol. now I wrap them in blankets then put them in bags.thats the only way my husband will allow them to travel with us now. teehee.

5 Likes

This one would have made a funny you tube moment!

This is from two weeks ago. I only have two babies made so far (two other work-in-progress), and as I need them for a photo project I keep them in the only available space - in car seats in the living room. They are different sizes, different coloring and not at all alike.
Two guys came over to install a new water-system, as one was working in the kitchen the other was sitting on the couch opposite the dolls for a good five minutes before saying, “you know - I have twins too.” I told him they were dolls, and he agreed that they were… meaning, of course, cute as dolls. It took a while to explain that they were actually dolls, and his reaction when he ‘got it’ was priceless - the dropped jaw, widening eyes, the tentative touching the baby just to make sure we weren’t pulling his leg. Then later it was the same with the other guy, who said to us "you know - he’s got twins at home too!"
The funny thing is that I’m really just a beginner, doing my best but my work is still nowhere nearly as good as I hope it to be in the future, with so many artists here being an inspiration to me. Still, these reactions are encouraging…

8 Likes

I do think your story is funny, but I couldn’t help but think:
The lady freaks out because she thinks it’s real and runs away? :open_mouth:
I’ve heard of hit and run drivers, but geeez… you’d think a person would stop if they decapitated a baby in a store.

8 Likes

I took my newborn Joey to the grocery store and had him in the basket. Went to the produce section where an elderly gentleman came over and oohed and aahed. He said how beautifl my newborn was, I told him it was a doll but he wasn’t listening said how lucky I was and how he had never been a grampa because his daughter didn’t want children. I reallly felt so bad for him as he continued to tell me his story, I decided if my Joey made him so happy I wasn’t going to ruin it for him and just said thank you and Joey and I went on our way. I didn’t have the heart to keep telling him it wasn’t a real a real baby. Mine isn’t funny but it was a strange incounter.

6 Likes

That is sweet, you should have told him about reborns, sounds like he might like one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That made me laugh!!!

2 Likes

I’m glad you didn’t tell him. He’s probably still thinking about how cute your baby was and how much fun it was to get to see him! Older people sometimes don’t have the opportunity to be around babies unless they have grandchildren in their family so it may have been the highlight of his day!

3 Likes

Hi Ya’ll I’m new=)
I am so glad you posted this topic. I had something reborn related happen last week that absolutely cracked me up and I think only others on this forum would understand.
I had my daughter(21) take me son(9) to get his hair cut. I can’t stand to do it because he has AMAZING medium brown silky, shiny hair with the most amazing highlights.
I looked at the style from the front when he got home. Told him it looked nice (While I mourned inside for the loss of his beautiful hair). Later that night when the grieving was over I told my son “I didn’t look at the back of your hair. Let me see how good it looks.” He then got a REALLY wide eyed excited look on his face and said "Mom!!! I forgot! I have something for you! Put out your hand.) I put my hand out and watched as he dug deep into his pocket then put…Locks of his hair!!.. into my hand and says "Now you can put some of my nice hair on your dolls. Or. sell it on ebay for other lady’s dolls. But if you sell it on ebay you have to give me the money.)
I was absolutely caught off guard by this and tears where rolling from my face as I literally laughed out loud!!! =-)

~Lori

4 Likes

That is a TRULEY wonderful idea!!! Thank you.
~Lori

Great idea!!