Full silicone baby, help please

I just received my first solid silicon baby, it is only head and limbs, but it is solid and I’m so excited!! Can anyone give me any pointers on working on the solid silicone baby? Would love any and all advice.,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

6 Likes

Nice! All I know is the painting is a totally different process. Hopefully, someone will be along soon to help. Cute kit!

1 Like

I think this is the Rio kit? I don’t know if they’ve changed, but last I heard this baby is tin silicone, not platinum, which means you’ll have to use tin paints instead of silicone. Hope somebody can better help you with that!

2 Likes

Thank you, I will follow up on that, but this is very soft and doesn’t have any odor to it. It will be interesting to find out. Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

Debbie Henshaw knows her silicone mediums very well so if she says it is tin based then it is. I actually own the 2nd tin based Ashton Drake that she reborn and called Benson. Here he is:
Silicone Benson Box Opening - YouTube

You will need to purchase Cirius Silicone paints to paint tin based silicone. This is the paint Debbie used on my baby she painted. You can get them various places but here is one:

I have only painted with Platinum based silicone but Debbie tells me that the Cirius paints do have a strong smell so you have to work in a well ventilated area. Painting with silicone takes lots of patience. You must let each layer cure before painting the next.

1 Like

Cirius! That’s what it was lol. For some reason it slipped my mind and all I could think of was citrus. :sweat_smile: Btw, your baby is precious. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much, I am very excited, I will have to purchase these paints before I can begin.
Thanks for the link.

1 Like

Isn’t the tin silicone the stuff they make molds etc. out of? And isn’t it the stuff that begins to fall apart as time goes by? I remember reading about peoples silicone dolls having their arms, fingers etc. just start falling off? I remember reading about this and people were saying that their dolls were probably made with tin silicone and it is not meant for a long duration. Anybody else remember reading about this??? I sure hope your baby isn’t made of that.

2 Likes

That would be horrible! :weary:

I asked the seller what paints should I use to paint it, and here is the answer: “we always always use Genesis to paints it.”

:no_mouth:

Me too, it looks and feels so nice now, I would be so upset if itt becomes flakly or brittle.

I would be so upset.

1 Like

Me, too. I’ve never heard of this. Of course, I’ve never heard of tin silicone, either.

New to me also, but I checked on the link for the paint and it mentions both silicones so I am purchasing them and will use them, I have always wanted to d0 a silicone baby and cannot aford a full body one so I will start with this and hopfully move us toa full silicone. I am so luck my husband is so supportive that he encourages me in my hobby or addictionof baby making. Ha Ha

2 Likes

Theres a link on Bonnie Brown’s fb page about one of the silicone dolls in her collection falling apart :frowning: hope you have better luck

1 Like

thank you, I will look at it, I hope mine doesn’t do that Yuk

1 Like

I understand that, I believe I have created a worldwind of controversy over this subject, it has kind of taken the wind out of my sails, but I will reborn this baby and keep it, don’t want to ruffle any more feathers, I did purchase the special paint to paint the silicone. Please don’t get me wrong I do love all of the input, it is quite a lot of help, I just didn’t realize all of the controversy over this subject.
Thanks to all for all of the help and advise.

1 Like

not you, I was referring to the controversy of the possible illegal kit being sold, I really had no idea about all of that. What an eye opener, I guess I should have known because of the price but I just got so excited to find one that I could afford and just went for it. But the lesson is to do my research first form now on, it is wonderful to have this outlet, still a bit new here but it’s great to have so many of you to talk with about it. Don’t have a lot of people in my circle so this is great.

Thanks and I will share my progress when I get to start on her or him as the case may be. Thank you!

2 Likes

You cant use genesis to paint silicone. You can but you will have a peeling baby if you do. Genesis is oil. Silicone wont stick to genesis. As for tin cured silicone i would advise staying away from it in the future. It breaks down too fast. :frowning:

1 Like