For our sculpture makers

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221856499975&globalID=EBAY-US

2 Likes

That’s neat!

Totally right??? I just came across it and I thought someone here would snap it up! :heart:

That’s cool! I’ve never seen a set like that for sale before.

And it’s cheap Helen! I think it just looks cool! Like art! :heart:

1 Like

Really cool.

That’s what the under layer of all these pretty babies looks like, Nikki! Hey, does anyone know the purpose of the foil? Does it help keep the clay from cracking in the oven? I have the same head armature but I didn’t cover it. I already started working on a sculpt but haven’t gone very far, should I take it off and cover it with foil? @Izzy

1 Like

It says on there not to take it off… :flushed: I think izzy only comes to forum on weekends now​:weary:

I know, but I thought I might catch her. No, I know you don’t take it off. I’ve seen another sculptor who does this but no one explained it. I’m suspecting it helps avoiding cracking when the armature heats up since foil doesn’t transmit heat the way some other things do. I think I’m going to just start mine over with foil. I also think I’ll make my arm and leg armatures right away because i hate that part. I don’t want to buy this, but it was inspiring. My clay is sitting out and that’s not good for it as the oils leach out so maybe this will get me started. I did a little Mongolian boy and it was getting cute but the clay got too thick and I had to squish him. Now i’m just trying to do a baby and following a tutorial so I don’t get so “creative” with the clay. I’m chatty this morning…sorry. How’s the bun? (And yes, I’m probably going to ask you every day!)

2 Likes

Bunny is good! I was feeling little pinches in my lower abdomen last night… Of course I was freaking out… Then I googled and I think it’s my uterus expanding❤️yay!

2 Likes

You’re going to feel lots of wierd stuff, but most of it is just normal. As long as you are not bleeding you’re probably fine! :smile:

Nope! No blood! :heart:️Lololol I love when u say" so, I squished him" lol I think of OHHHHH NOOOOOO ITS Mr.BILL :astonished:

The foil prevents the oils from leaching and it helps prevent some cracking when baked because it holds the form and doesn’t shrink. I make my own armatures with newspaper, foil, and masking tape.

2 Likes

I always think of Mr. Bill too!!!

1 Like

Hey @honojane Helen! I tried that armature twice so I have some experience. :slight_smile: The foil makes the clay stick to the armature better, without the foil the clay won’t stick, and you’ll get air pockets and your clay will crack. But both times I used that armature I had horrible cracks (don’t know if it was the clay or the armature or me). Either way I ended up throwing both those sculpts away. I had much better luck with the Secrist armatures, and my favorite, the styrofoam. The styrofoam ones shrink, so the clay doesn’t crack nearly as much because it has room to expand or shrink without running into armature if that makes sense. I do love the skull shape though, just the design wasn’t for me.

1 Like

I’ll probably end up agreeing with you, but I need to give it a go. My clay is sticking to it fine at this point. (Prosculpt) but I just got started. Thanks for answering. I know you’re busy with school.

2 Likes

I made mine with tin foil and then covered it with masking tape. The masking tape helps the clay to stick to the armature, plus it covers the sharp edges that might be in the tin foil. Thats a neat armature set and saves whoever bought it having to guess at getting the limbs the right size. You also want to use an armature to prevent cracking. If the clay is too thick it can crack. My first sculpt ,the Navi cracked in areas where i made the clay too thick. My next try i will be bulking the thickness of the armature. It will also save me on how much clay i have to use.

2 Likes