For Karen, question about Sophia

Karen, since we’ve learned that BB will in the future discontinue manufacturing dolls from sculpts, but go to the same photography method they used for Eliza, I say, send them a picture (with parents’ permission) of sophia so we can all have our own Sophia!
Actually, it makes me wonder if they’re not going to use sculpts, where will all these babies be coming from? Wonder if they’ll have beautiful baby contests in Salt Lake City! Can they work from a single photograph, I wonder, or do they need to have the baby in for a computerized digital image appt.? should have asked Nevin I guess.
BB, can you provide information on this future plan?

Rhonda, you’re so sweet! Yep, I’d LOVE to have a sculpt of Sophia, and I even thought of sending a few of her pictures to Karen Scott, who sculpts for Marie Osmond’s doll line. Also Ping Lau sculpts likeness’ of real people…very expensive, though. I’d also like to have sculpts of my boys from when they were babies. (sigh) So many babies, so little money. I could sooooo much more in life had I only married a ROCKEFELLER!!!

Hugs,

Karen

Rhonda I don’t think they are going to use the digital scan method for the portrait babies because of the HUGE cost. I think they are going to only look at sculpts that are modeled after real babies. I may be wrong of course but that’s what I understand…so sculptors will still be in business if they do “portraits”.

— Begin quote from ____

I don’t want to discourage you, but we are rapidly moving towards a business model where we only reproduce portrait babies. Right now Eliza and Crystal are portrait reproductions, but there are many more in the works. Donna RuBert is our main portrait sculptor-- portrait sculpts are much more difficult than “normal” sculpts, because they are constrained by the need to reproduce the likeness of the real baby.

But unless it is a portrait sculpt, it probably will not be selected.

This may sound brutal, and I apologize if it does. But, that’s the direction we are headed (there’s less competition down that path, because it is harder to do). You might as well know now.

— End quote

Most sculptors babies all end up resembling each other because that is the artist’s style but portrait sculpts would all be very individual because they look like individual babies, kids. I hope they warn us when the old kits will be going away but I for one will be happy to see more diversity and not so much repetition.

— Begin quote from “Karen in NE”

Rhonda, you’re so sweet! Yep, I’d LOVE to have a sculpt of Sophia, and I even thought of sending a few of her pictures to Karen Scott, who sculpts for Marie Osmond’s doll line. Also Ping Lau sculpts likeness’ of real people…very expensive, though. I’d also like to have sculpts of my boys from when they were babies. (sigh) So many babies, so little money. I could sooooo much more in life had I only married a ROCKEFELLER!!!

Hugs,

Karen

— End quote

Karen, I think I’ve said it before but I think Sophia would make a beautiful sculpt.

Karen, she is so precious! She looks like she is going to be a sweet, shy little girl.

Cindy, I agree. Some sculpts, all you have to do is take one look and you know who sculpted it. They all look alike. Diversity is good!

1 Like