First wig, lots of questions!

Getting ready to do my first wig and need help. It’d be for the hailey sculpt. What size wig would she need? Also I read a lot about “shaping the wig” is that about like cutting the hair after you root? And do all wigs need shaped? Or are certain ones already done? And finally, any special instructions for applying it to the doll? Any and all advice greatly appreciated as always.

Wish I could help but my only wig experience was fairly straightforward once I got the bottom part rooted. I imagine that most wigs are already cut and styled so I’d think that shaping the wig could refer to stretching the mesh the hair is on to fit the doll’s head but I’m just guessing. I just used e6000 to glue the hair down. Measure the head and I hope someone else has more answers.

— Begin quote from “djjessie228”

Wish I could help but my only wig experience was fairly straightforward once I got the bottom part rooted. I imagine that most wigs are already cut and styled so I’d think that shaping the wig could refer to stretching the mesh the hair is on to fit the doll’s head but I’m just guessing. I just used e6000 to glue the hair down. Measure the head and I hope someone else has more answers.

— End quote

That actually helped quite a bit lol. Thanks for trying

Any new wigging advice?

Different style wig, but still useful

http://pictures.bountifulbaby.com/inventory/mohairwig.html

I’ve used thinning scissors on every wig I use before attaching it. After the glue is dry I brush the hair again and then snip anything that seems too long. Measure your doll’s head with a tape measure wrapped around just above the ears. Nice thing about vinyl heads you center the wig placing, it where you feel it looks best, stick a pin through the crown INTO the head. Carefully bend up the front of the wig, apply glue (I use Alleen’s - BB has it; Amazon’s is cheaper) smooth wig back in place. Let dry completely. Raise other sections and repeat the process until wig and head are glued. If I could stand the smell of E6000 I would use that. Only recently Lovebug came home from an art exhibit with her wig missing. It was found in the parking lot in the rain. BOL!

2 Likes

Thank you! Great tip! Someone stole ladybugs wig???

What do you mean by rooting the bottom part? I’m thinking of getting a wig for Rowan because she’s so big. Do you still have to root?

1 Like

The person picking up my item handled the doll so roughly (how I do not know) that the wig fell off in the parking lot, but some guy found it and turned it in.

To answer Blissfulbabies. I do not root anything even places around the wig. I think it would be hard to match wig and non-wig areas, but the idea sounds intriguing for those of you who can tolerate working with the mohair.

In the night I was thinking of this thread and wanted to add that when gluing do not use globs of glue. It can seep through the mesh up into the hair and make a mess. A thin coat on wig base and vinyl head is safer, But what do I know? The wig came off. Should I have rooted it, tied it to the scalp?

2 Likes

I agree this is an idea worthy of trying, and I will on a strange kit I started today.

1 Like

Did you try this , Jane?

yes! Have a Juan+Tibby with long blonde hair for an art exhibit due on Sunday called Spirit Child. Sewed the hair on four places and pinned a garland into the head in another 4 places. Have my fingers crossed too.

1 Like

Would you post a picture? :heart:

My first posting of a photo. And it worked! Yes those are frogs on her feet.

And one coming out of her head.
Thanks for your questions, Nikki.

1 Like

Jane!!! That is so creative!!! I know you will win the completion!!! I’m going to try to wig tomorrow!!! Thank you for responding and posting the picture!!!

1 Like

Thanks for the compliment and good wishes for the show. Last year I got the highest beading award but those days are over. Now it can only be babies and I am trying to break new ground.
Good luck wigging a head, I am on a wig journey - every body gets one,
Isn;t it about your bedtime? :smile:

1 Like

Lol yes!!! I ate ice cream and now I’m all hyper!!! :scream::scream:

1 Like

Let me know how the show goes!!! I can’t wait to hear!!!

The results of the judging are revealed on Friday night. My girl is too off-the wall for a prize. I am lucky if they let in! So glad you are up and talking with me. Pass the ice cream. . .

1 Like

Lolol! You really don’t think you will win? Did you see the other entries??