First time rooting, feedback? (Finished)

Attempting rooting for the first time, does this look ok?
I’m trying to get a newborn shaped hairline so don’t want it really thick, and I’m trying to get one hair in each hole but as you can see I’m not always successful

13 Likes

You are doing rally well for the first time

Direction looks good.

For less hairs try to pull a few hairs further out in the clump and root those, then pull more and so on. Tweeze extras and tails as you go

4 Likes

When I tweeze tails, the entire hair comes out.

2 Likes

Will try that, thanks x

1 Like

That happens occasionally to me too but I reroot the hole. If I dont the head feels prickly.

3 Likes

I trim my ends regularly and try and catch the hair less than 5mm from the end, it helps with the tails!

2 Likes

It looks good for your first time!! What needle are you using? Don’t worry to much about multiple hairs while you’re learning, just go back in with reading glasses after each section and tweeze out any extra hairs! The directions of the hair looks good!

2 Likes

I’m using 42g crown needles, my eyesight is not the best so I wear my glasses for anything close up anyway but think I need to get a magnifying lamp to help.
I’m finding that when I brush the hair that I have already rooted to get it out if the way some is coming out, how can I stop that happening?

2 Likes

I just root from the bottom of wherever I’m rooting, have you looked inside the head at all to see how much hair is punching through? If there’s not a lot the hair could be rooted not quite deep enough so that could why it falls out when rooting maybe. My work readers are like a level 4 if I remember correctly because I’m a bit blind (I was actually legally blind for a hot minute there earlier this year) and magnifiers are my friend lol.
I use a 42g single barb personally which will only catch about three hairs max, But a tip I’ve learned is making sure only one hair is underneath the needle when you push it in, that tends to help some!

3 Likes

No I haven’t looked inside as the head is filled with pellets as advised to support it, I will empty them out and have a look x

2 Likes

Yes I can see hairs inside x

2 Likes

The direction and pattern looks great! Especially for the first time! I use a smaller needle to lessen the chances of getting more than one hair.

46g crown
Also the type of hair makes a difference too.
Careful when trying to maneuver the hair after rooting esp with the larger needles I learned my lesson and try minimal combing until it’s been glued. You could glue (I just started doing this with modpodge) as you go to prevent hairs from pulling back out.

I have been using a magnifying lamp and readers to see what I’m doing and pulling a few hairs up longer than the clump (like @jlesser suggested) I’m holding and try to grab one at a time to root

2 Likes

I am now pulling a few from the clump as suggested and finding that a lot easier to get one hair at a time, I did wonder if my needle was too big because even with a single hair I can still see the hole!

1 Like

Sometimes I stick my needle in the hole again and it pulls the tail into the head and then the strand is still there instead of tweezing it out.

6 Likes

Very good rooting for first time.

3 Likes

Thank you, it’s s lot harder than people in videos make it look lol

3 Likes

It’s not great but for my first I’m happy with it, excuse my daughter photo bombing the first pic with her fingers :joy:

6 Likes

I think it is very good first time rooting!

2 Likes

Thank you x

2 Likes

I still struggle with rooting.

2 Likes