Continuing the discussion from Final Grade for reborners:
Because of my typical verbosity you may want to skip this diatribe and go straight to the bottom for info on their projects.
I had ro quit my reborn HS class. I was purely administrative anyhow and was doing it via Skype.
But the project I was on was so labor intensive and frustrating I had no choice.
Then an explosion happened not to far from my studio, then the fires. We thought we were far enough away to away to be involved, but the chemicals saturated the air and we were forced to leave. I took heads and hair because luckily I was more fortunate and did not have to go to a shelter. I stayed with friends. My studio was intact, but there were a few things we still cannot find and they are expensive.
I was put in the hospital for what we thought was exhaustion because I was working nonstop on the 17 customs I ignorantly accepted,then subsequently screwed up and all I would do is work till I passed out. But I was given a diagnosis that I still am reeling from.
My adorable HSers came over while I was in Hospital and actually finished some of the work and prepared shipments. But they did not know about my custom boxes and the COAs. And I have no idea how the finished products looked though they assigned the persons they consider to be the best in the class and from what I am told, there was no green envy. So So proud of them.
I appreciate them so much, but I am a little worried about those shipments that went out.
The “regular” art instructor was there as well and kept saying "Custom art is an oxymoron, It is too personal and comes from a part of you that cannot be altered by someone elses desires. Especially if you barely know them" and "'A self respecting artist should never do a custom ANYTHING!" followed by :These are the ugliest dolls I have ever seen, anything you do to them can only be an improvement"
The kids eventually asked him to leave. (he’s a little controversial, he starts every school year making his students watch the movie Basquiat)
So here is the timeline:
- Kits were delayed for G_d knows why from the factory
- Kits were delayed in being delivered because of bad weather
- Kits had issues and needed not only to be replaced, but the custom bodies were wrong on 2
- My computer decided on its own to upgrade a version of Windows 10 that was corrupted, acting like a virus and anytime I opened a directory in file manager it erased everything in the file and then corrupted the file itself causing me to buy a new computer. ANd lost 3 days just getting everything usable.Yes, it was windows and microsoft, no it really wasn’t a virus. ANd how they are getting away without massive law suits is beyond me. I now read all terms and agreements before I do anything for fear I will be turned into a human centipede. (SouthPark)
- First hospital stay for hemorrhaging Couldn’t figure out why (I need to thank everyone. I was told some of the folks here donated blood)
- Explosion and evacuation
- Second more life altering hospital stay
But I did find a silver lining. By the time I got to my 14th kit, I finally had that VOILA! light bulb moment. And figured out less is really more, you dont need to paint even half as much as I did
I had some pretty unbelievable support and kindness from artists I never thought would even say 2 words to me. ANd customers who sent me gifts, a huge stuffed elephant, a gorgeous blanket.
I passed along the idea about the students posting their babies here for the final grade, but they were already 10 steps ahead of me (they spend way too much time on this forum but I bet all of you cant wait till June to meet them on here directly) and started the ball rolling. The principal is having weird issues, hopefully they will work it out. But I believe the idea is perfectly brilliant. Only thing, if they do it none of that walking on eggshells. Critique them like you want to be critiqued.
Thanks to all of you for being the ace teachers you are! And I will try to start giving the Cliff Note version of what I want to say in the future.