Eyes for Maddie by Bonnie Brown

I am trying to finish my Maddie and am wondering for those who have painted this kit, what kind of eyes did you use? I have full round glass eyes and have gone down to a 20mm and they do not quite sit as tight as usual, but at the same time there is no room in the socket for poly-fil or anything to push them more into socket. Should I change to flat back or completely remove the back of the socket? I know that versions of this question have been asked, but hope someone with this kit can guide me. I have never painted a kit that cost this much before and am terrified I will mess up. Here is a quick photo of how they look.

6 Likes

I am
Painting her now . I taught she needs 22 mm … I better go check it .

Your Maddie is lovely !

1 Like

I used 22mm in mine. They fit perfectly.

2 Likes

I used 22mm flat back eyes in mine
Fit perfectly

2 Likes

Thanks everyone- my full round in 22 would not go in nearly as well as the 20mm, but maybe she just needs flat back for a better fit. I really want to use glass, but not sure I have the color I want in a 22. I hate when I have all the right colors in the wrong size and all the wrong colors in the right size…it happens to me a lot!

@andik Thank you! I love this sculpt, Bonnie did such a nice job.

2 Likes

I painted 2 Maddies and used 22 mm flat back in one and 22mm round in the other. I usually cute an X in the socket back to allow the stem to come through. For Maddie, I had to make more slitslike an asterisk type shape and then I covered the whole back of the eye stem and socket with the glass eye glue from Macphersons to be sure the socket was reinforced and would not split further. That is the Maddie I am keeping and I love how she looks. Her eyes look more open. She is the one in yellow and the other one has the 22mm flat back eyes.

6 Likes

Both your Maddies are adorable, but I think I like the look you got with the full rounds. I will try to get my nerve up and cut the flap more. I cut the x for full rounds usually but in this case I did not because I intended to use flat back but then did not like the color.

Where do you find the full round eyes please

1 Like

try Kanis eyes, Dollpoint, Lauscher in Germany. I like the eyes you have in her in your opening post. They are perfect.