Everything I need for Golden Fluid Paints?

I think I’m going to switch from Ultimate Fusion to Golden Fluid Paints…UF is super translucent and it beads soo much in the beginning and takes forever to build color. What is everything I need to get started with Golden Fluid Air Dry Paints? What colors, mediums, varnishes ect, just everything do I need? And how do I use them? Thank you!

1 Like

This is a good way to start. I have this set. But I haven’t tried it yet. It’s just sitting in the bin while I continue on with Genesis.
https://www.macphersoncrafts.com/en/online-store/melissa-george-supplies/mg-starter-trial-kit-detail

3 Likes

Also, Melissa George’s Patreon is a great place to learn how to use them. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have this set as well. I tried it, but I think I used too much slow dry. The kit was too stickey. It’s thrown in a bag in the closet. Eventually I will try them again,

1 Like

I only use a drop of retarder in my paints but I also use Satin glazing liquid that helps make the paint smoother, also helps with slowing the drying and generally makes the paint easier to move around.

2 Likes

Where do I get the satin glazing? And how much do I put in?

1 Like

@DollyPardon may be able to help

1 Like

I only use the golden paints, distilled water, and matte medium, matte polymer varnish, then whatever gloss I have laying around. Though I may try the satin glazing liquid after reading this.

All of this stuff can be purchased anywhere, which is the great thing about it. You can get the starter set from Macphersons, you can buy them individually from Michael’s or probabbly any other art store. I have also gotten them online from d!ckblick and Amazon.

5 Likes

Its also a Golden product.
I don’t really measure but I put a drop of retarder and a couple drops of satin glazing liquid to a couple drops of paint (Golden fluid) and then I mix that with my wetting agent/distilled water mix.

I think it was retarder I actually use. I was following Melissa George on patron. She uses a lot of it. Hen rinse the kit. It didn’t work well for me when I did it.

1 Like

Im on Melissa’s Patreon as well but Ive come up with my own mix that works better for me. I don’t like all the retarder either and its why I started using the satin glazing liquid but found it to be useful in more ways than just extending the retarder.

3 Likes

Would you mind talking more about this satin glazing liquid? Like what does it do for you that retarder doesn’t?

I don’t use much retarder at all. Mostly water. Then I work like a mad woman. :grin: But that’s what I’m used to. I started with air dry and never got used to the luxury of GHSP.

3 Likes

For the paint mixture: it’s just paint, satin glazing gel, and distilled water? No paint thinner or other mediums?

1 Like

I use wetting agent (Golden) and mix a very small amount of that with water in a bottle and use that to thin my paints but you can just use distilled water.

3 Likes

I do the same, no retarder, and “work like a mad woman” LOL LOL

3 Likes

what is a wetting agent, and what does it do, please?

2 Likes

Okay great! Does Golden sell “Flesh tones” like GHSP…flesh 02, 03, 04, 05, 06 ect? What to use for skintones?

1 Like

I use air dry paint, have never used fleshtone? I don’t think you need it

1 Like

What colors do you use?

I use brown, burgundy, rose, blue, green, white and dark red, dark brown and I think that is all?? I mix all my own colors and washes… LDC air dry paint from Germany

1 Like