Ever problems?

Has anyone been painting Ever? I started her last week and I have 30+ layers of ghsp on her and she just won’t take it. I’m curious to see if anyone else has had the same issue?

For reference I’m showing her next to finished Skya and Darren.

2 Likes

I have had a few BB kits that just drank paint. I’d paint, come back the next day and the kit would be pale again. This happened for days. I was advised here that priming would take care of this, but since I was nearly done I kept painting.

This definitely does not look like 30 layers of paint. How much are you thinning it? Think it would help to leave the paint a bit more concentrated?

3 Likes

Not thinning much differently than I did the other two kits. I added more paint to my blue to the point of insanity and you can barely see it. I put a flesh layer before I started three blue washes, at least five yellow, three red and three mottling with crimson. A green was and shading. Two lavender and several crimson and blue and lavender in her creases.

I took the day off from babies today and am trying to reorganize my space. Before bed I’m going to try ghsp thinning medium and some crimson on her creases. Then :woman_shrugging:t2: I’ll mix up new paints when my Gamsol gets here.

What’s it like to paint over varnish? Do I varnish the same as when I seal or water it down more? I’m terrified of chunky or crispy creases :thinking:

1 Like

No problems here, although mine will be an ethnic baby. This is my first skin tone layer. I guess I should also mention that I use air dry paint.

4 Likes

I would think there’d be probs with both. Maybe it’s just me.

I’ve had issues with 2 kits from BB and my friend 1… not only not taking paint but turning very orange in spots… so we both used a better primer base coat

2 Likes

I always seal the vinyl first with a mixture of matte varnish a thinner to a whole milk consistancy. It shouldn’t leave the kit feeling rough.

1 Like

30 layers?! That’s going to take until 2021. I’d try sealing and then continuing to see if it makes a difference.

5 Likes

I am so afraid to lol I put sealer on two kits when I was first starting with air dry and wow they were so chunky. Granted that was almost a year ago but I’m still so afraid. There were chunks in the creases etc oy it was bad. I’ve since successfully sealed a couple kits but I haven’t tried painting over them.

1 Like

I have some ghsp sealer varnish or whatever that comes in the starter paint set. I’ve never used it. Should I try that? Do I just use it like paint? Add thinner and pounce it on?

1 Like

Are you using air dry or ghsp?

1 Like

Mine is drinking paint too, although not quite as badly as yours is! oh my gosh! I hate priming with varnish, I’ve done it before and can’t see much of a difference in the outcome with and without priming.

2 Likes

Try a bit on the primer on the fingers and toes to see if it helps. If it does you have your answer. :heart: A lot of times I prime the clingers and toes because they wBt take color. Give it a whirl! :kiss:

3 Likes

You can also try it on the neck and limb flanges so it won’t affect the final outcome. I test my paints and curing like this. I just paint them as I paint the rest of the parts. I use air dry but you should use the varnish the same as your final seal.

2 Likes

Ghsp

I’ve baked her twice in a row to see if tha helped.

Nope

I’ve tried thinning medium instead of Gamsol and that just wiped right off instead of blending out when I pounced on it and I let it sit for a long time. I gave her another wash of blue. … that stuck to her fingertips so we might be getting somewhere :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I wish I’d kept track in my notebook like I did my last two.
I’m going to try another wash of red then maybe prime.

So maybe it’s a kit thing?

1 Like

I use ghsp also and I’ve had great success with thinned out matte varnish. I use a odorless paint thinner from walmart. (Says odorless but still smells until its dry, then becomes odorless) i have a batch of the thinner and matte varnish in a small mason jar and it lasts for a while. By mixing the varnish and thinner to a whole milk consistancy you are able to prime the kit without worrying about it being rough. I usually brush it on and then pounce it with a makeup wedge. This is the stuff i use when i thin the paint.

ive painted kits before that have absorbed the paint and thats when i started sealing the vinyl first. Once primed i jump into the different mottling colors, I’ve been able to minimize how many layers of paint needed to bring the baby to life. I have a Facebook artist page. Feel free to have a look at the last baby i painted. https://www.facebook.com/DrawingsByMelanie/

1 Like

I think magic number 33 or 34 did the trick. I did a layer of blue last night and then a layer of red this morning and she’s finally starting to take color! I am going to try what you suggested on a test limb to see how it takes the paint. I’ve just gotten the hang of painting without getting yucky creases so we will see how it goes! Thanks for the suggestion

3 Likes