Estella warning

Also a huge warning to those painting Estella. VARNISH THE LEGS FIRST. It might not affect all of them, but I’ve talked to three people that have had the issue. I shouldn’t have ignored the shininess. I thought I could get away with just sealing at the end to make it matte, but I got to the very last layer (final creasing) and the paint literally started rubbing right off with the tiniest swipe of my blending brush. I’m not sure what caused it, if it was oil in the vinyl or what, because I’ve never had this happen and I never pre-seal my kits. Now I have to attempt to make them match. :sweat_smile::grimacing:

Do they sell cuddle bodies where just the legs are cuddle, I’d love to get one if anyone knows?

Not the best pics but I thought I’d show the shininess of the legs pre-painting and now that I’ve varnished them. I wish I had taken pics to show how the paint was coming right off.

4 Likes

ALSO: This isn’t intended to insult the sculptor or dealer at all. Cassie did a beautiful job with the sculpt and Macphersons was lovely as always. I believe it’s just a small factory issue, which hopefully has an easy fix :heart:

3 Likes

I didn’t have an issue with my legs and they weren’t shiny. Her arms were very shiny on my kit. I don’t normally prime my kits but I did prime her arms and didn’t have any issues. Can you just strip her legs and do them over?

1 Like

That’s what I ended up doing. One of the pictures is after I stripped and varnished it

2 Likes

I wondered if that’s what you did or if that much paint ended up rubbing off.

@RoseannsBoutique can make a cuddle like that for you…

Thank you for the heads-up… She is still in her bag (not sure I love the kit)…

2 Likes

I know everyone has different opinions, but she seems so sweet and silly to me :heart_eyes:. I’d definitely want to hold off if I didn’t like her though, I have a feeling her kit will be very valuable

4 Likes

I prime all my babies first whether they are shiny or not. I mix matte varnish and a little satin varnish with thinner to a whole milk consistency. It doesn’t make the kit rough feeling but gives the paint a little something to adhere to better as well as preventing the paint from being absorbed into the vinyl.

2 Likes

Working on her now, and I’m ready to place her in the naughty bin!! Shiny, won’t take paint even after I primed her…and she’s very yellowish :frowning:

I agree. I made sure to use no yellow paint at all.

1 Like