eBay prototype auctions

I always wondered about the whole eBay auction with the prototypes. Why they did it and who got the money. I read that the auction is kind of a huge coming out party to get everyone amped up about the sculpt. To see it finished and the possibilities etc and that the artist gets to keep the money generated by the auction. This is thier compensation for creating the prototype.

Elena Matternas Phineas blew everyone out of the water and the reserve wasn’t even met!

3 Likes

Holy Smokes! Who is paying that kind of money? Wow!

3 Likes

I know right? I’m not the kind of girl who buys Vera bradly or Michael kohrs or Chanel etc sooo.
I mean it isn’t anything different than what anyone here would do. Just the reputation behind the artist I suppose. And the prestige of getting a prototype. I do highly respect the art. I’d love to see what Rembrandt or Picasso would do with a reborn :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Crazy too me that one person would pay over $2000 on a doll I wouldnt even want. LOL

Some are fantastic and dont get many bids, some aren’t and do… so weird.

7 Likes

I have seen some sell at $13,000 and more.

3 Likes

Man that would be wild to me, just dropping the price of a decent used car on a baby. But lots of other art mediums go for much more so it’s really not that out there.

3 Likes

If I was ever gonna spend that kinda money on a baby, I’d also include the gas/airfare whatever it may be to view in person lol

3 Likes

A lot of high end collectors want the prototypes in their collection. They usually are the first to get to own that sculpt and their doll will be seen by many online. I guess it is a status thing.

5 Likes

Like owning a celebrity baby :wink:

2 Likes

That Phineas really creeps me out.

I guess it’s a status symbol, like the others said. So you can show off on social media and such.

6 Likes

I think I would buy a Rembrandt reborn over Picasso :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d rather have a silicone for that money, but second thought something Needful lol

1 Like

Kelli Maple, a YouTuber with a huge following having to do with reborns, has several prototypes in her collection (if I remember correctly) and she’s only college age!

1 Like