E6000 is dangerous. Please read

E6000 is extremely toxic. The warning on the back of the tube states: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. Harmful if inhaled or swallowed. May cause dizziness, headache or nausea. Can cause skin and eye irritation.Exposure may cause damage to the kidneys or liver.Cancer agent based on experimental data. Keep away from heat and flame. Contact with flame or hot surface may cause toxic gases. Use only with adequate ventilation. To avoid breathing vapor, open ALL windows and doors to assure fresh air movement during application and drying. When using, do not eat, drink or smoke. Avoid prolonged or repeated contact with skin. Wash thoroughly after handling.
FIRST AID: If you experience difficulty in breathing, leave the area to obtain fresh air. If continued difficulty is experienced, get medical assistance immediately. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting; get medical assistance. In case of eye contact, immediately flush eye with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. For further health information, contact a poison control center.

I’m not taking any chances. I’m sticking (no pun intended) with Aleene’s.

4 Likes

I never paid attention to the warnings, I figured most people use it. I guess I thought it was fine. I know I don’t like the smell of it, but once it dry a couple days it would go away. I use to use it to glue the hair inside, now I just use it for the pacifiers. Thanks fort the warning

I use it for pacifiers and if I need a secure grip on eyes, otherwise I stick to less toxic substances.

2 Likes

Not all glues have this warning. I, myself, use a lot more glue than a pea sized amount once a week. I’m just letting people know. It’s a choice, but it’s good if it’s an informed choice. Aleene’s works very well for me for eyes, hair, lashes and pacifiers so I choose not to use the E6000.

2 Likes

What do you use to seal your limbs? ( if you don’t have plugs)

I use moleskin for that too.

My husband is a purchaser for a huge paint sundries distributor with two warehouses in CA. I can tell you that their very low tolerance for anything that may cause harm is EXTREME. It is really hard to find anything of any chemical property that can be legally sold in California because as was pointed out above just living is hazardous. California is also the only state to set these standards on things that most people have and use in their homes on a daily basis. Common sense and not abusing a product is the way to avoid most problems.

1 Like

I disagree with that statement. It’s not at all hard to findanything of any chemical property that can be legally sold in California. We have E6000, paints, chemicals and toxic pesticides that can be purchased by ordinary consumers. They just come with information about the toxicity of these products so people can make informed choices. You seem kind of defensive about bthe E6000. I wasn’t trying to raise anyone’s hackles. I just thought people might want to know the potential risks.

The Californian warning is a well known joke. There was a very funny sketch about it some time ago, basically California is a very dangerous place; anything safe in other states and countries causes cancer in California. The warning has to be put on goods sold in California even if the item contains the dangerous chemical in only tiny fraction of the level considered safe.
More: “Disneyland Prop 65 Warning crop” by Patrick Pelletier - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0 via Wikimedia Commons.

I am not saying that we should not be careful, lot of the stuff we use on our dolls can be harmful. And some of the ingredients in the vinyl is probably not too good for you either. I have not done any painting since before Xmas, and I am just starting to think about it again. And I have just opened my latest BB box, which arrived all those months ago, and I was shocked how strong chemical smell the kits have, it cannot be good for us. Normally I unpack kits immediately, and I do not quite notice the smell. I am having 2nd thought about going back to reborning.

1 Like

okay I had a project due tomorrow… so I worked on it using this glue E6000 with my 3yr old and 4yr old sleeping in the room I left the cap off the whole time I was using it (about 35 mins) when I was cleaning up I seen the back warning label… that it could cause cancer!! did I just put my kids in danger?? I’m scared and crying… I feel a little dizzy… I bought this glue at the craft store Michael’s. are my babies ok?

I just bought the Golden high flow shading grey and it says the same thing on the back of the bottle. I had a panic attack especially since I bite my nails when I get stressed. I always wash hands thoroughly but think it is time to invest in gloves and get rid of the high flow.

I would just get the room well ventilated or take them out for plenty of fresh air . Keep an eye on them . I would not panic unless you see symptoms that is described on the back of the label.

There are many toxic products on the market. Just because there are no warnings on them in other states and countries doesn’t mean they’re not toxic. I don’t use E6000 because of the toxicity and because there are other options available. I’m not a chemist but I doubt that being exposed once or twice would cause cancer. I’d find an alternative for future use, though.

2 Likes

Yes, your babies are OK. What the warning means that over a time high exposure to something in that glue can cause cancer.

if you use it, do it outside or next to open window. I always put anything I used the glue on in the laundry near the open window to cure. I would not use it in the same room with children or my pets, but then I would not be painting and baking my dolls when my granddaughter is here either.

1 Like

I need to start wearing gloves while gluing because Im good at getting it all over me (I use UHU max and super glue). I know E6000 has a really strong smell and its why I only used it a couple times and tossed the rest, Im sensitive to strong smells. I think if you are really worried, have lots of ventilation and wear a mask and gloves. I do that when I use Acetone (also a very strong smell)…I sit right next to an open window if I ever have to strip paint. I don’t wear gloves when I paint because I used to work in the medical field so I have a sensitivity to gloves (may have to do with my disease as well), any glove, even the hypoallergenic or plastic ones. I can wear them for a short time but not very long.