Drill yes or no

Ok fellow artists do u drill the ears or not?

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of drilling the ears, only nostrils. But I don’t do either. It’s too easy to get it wrong and I don’t like putting holes into the vinyl. I just use shading.

6 Likes

I drill the nose but does scare me each time.

I drill the nostrils one time and was not happy with the result so just shading now

2 Likes

No

1 Like

No drilling

2 Likes

I do not drill at all

2 Likes

I don’t drill anything. I do like the look, but it’s a lot more work and worry than I want for me personally.

2 Likes

Put the drill down slowly, and walk away. Ouch!

10 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

I’m never sure if anyone is going to me mad at the things I write anymore!! :thinking::face_with_hand_over_mouth::grimacing::joy:

7 Likes

Lol girl your ok

2 Likes

Aw, Nikki. Don’t worry much about about that. Some people are easily offended and others are just angry or upset all the time.

4 Likes

No, I don’t drill

1 Like

I dont understand why you would drill any part of the kit unless it is to do with alternative adaptions. By putting holes in the kit your allowing moisture inside and causing goodness knows what will happen inside the reborn as a result.
As a collector I will not buy a reborn that has had its nose opened and I have never heard of anyone opening the ears.
It is totally unnecessary, this is an art form and an artist knows how to create depth with paint.

2 Likes

I shade.

But want to mention you should not add straight black paint to the nostrils or ears to add “realism” like some people have been doing… it looks awful.

I shade with multiple colors and multiple layers

3 Likes

I had to chime in and say though I don’t do it myself, I have seen ears drilled. Even on prototypes. The prototype (one of them) of Frida by Lorraine Yophi that is being released has drilled ears and nostrils! Londa isn’t making it up :laughing:

4 Likes

In the past I’ve drilled noses and ears for extra realism but I don’t do it anymore. It’s so much easier to shade.

2 Likes

Back in the old days, we drilled noses all the time. I admit that when done correctly, I love the look. BUT I stopped doing it over 10 yrs ago because I worried about moisture possibly getting in, even though I backed the nostrils with felt. I ruined a few heads by either drilling the holes too big or slipping and making a big dent or scratch on the face with the drill bit. That’s soooo disappointing. :confounded:

Most sculpts now look fine with shaded nostrils.

I never drilled ears, though.

4 Likes

I personally like someone with a jokie personality. I think we would have a lot in common. I joke sometimes and people look at me like WHAT! :joy:

3 Likes