Does anyone use these for veins?

Hi there everyone! I have been struggling to paint veins. I saw a thread on here about using these Prismacolor markers/pens for veins. I went ahead and ordered some. I was wondering if anyone uses them/still uses them and what their experience is. It’s this one in the picture:

Thanks,
Julie

1 Like

Ive never seen those!! Would you be able to soften the lones you draw somehow.

I just use paints and a skinny brush…:blush:

2 Likes

You may try it on a spare piece first, to see how it works. Seem interesting. I use pastel for the veins and love the result.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried them either, but they look like they’d be easier to control than paint and a skinny brush which is what I use now. Do they have to be baked? Will they come off if necessary? Keep us posted.

1 Like

I use air dry paints so I am not sure about baking. I’m also not sure about softening the color. The color of this marker/pen is light cerulean blue. So it should hopefully be a light color. I will keep you all posted! :slight_smile:
I hope this will make veins easier!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t think you would be able to soften the edges enough.

I do veins and mottling first. They’re both muted by subsequent layers of paint and look very natural and ‘under the skin’.

2 Likes

I think I tried this years ago and ended up not using it because I like my veins really blended and felt like I wasn’t able to achieve that with this pen. But knowing what I know now, I’d do some experimenting. Let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

I used that years ago. They literally look like pen marks because you cant soften the lines. It is better to use something you can blend out. Because in my experience no amount of other skin layers covered them enough. It may seem small but if veining isnt done right it will ruin the doll. Imo

1 Like

I use pastels and the thin swabs that someone mentioned on here several years ago. You could probably use eyeshadow w/o the glitter look to see if that is easier for you . i think that ink will not give soft edges. I purchased the swabs at Amazon.

1 Like

I haven’t tried these but do often use paint pens. I thin my paints in a container to my liking then add to the pen and blend with a sponge as I go

1 Like

I use soft pastels for veins also. I love the way they look underneath the skin.

2 Likes

I tried practicing veins with the marker/pen (I didn’t do it on a limb but on a canvas.) and I don’t think it will work :frowning: Oh, well I can probably use the pen for other projects.At least, I am glad that I tried it. Back to practice with paint maybe prisma pencil. I thought about trying powders but I am not sure about it.

2 Likes

Pencil pencil! It’s so nice! Water will lighten it too.

2 Likes

Like a regular colored pencil?

What brand of pencil?

Omg, sorry! Prisma! I love it so much and you can fade the blue 26th face, however it’s very hard to completely remove it. I’ve never felt my veins needed to be removed though.

1 Like

These work good for Airdry.

1 Like

What is the best colors to do veins?

1 Like

I would say blue is best. Not sure on an exact shade of blue though.

1 Like