Day One: The Adventure Begins!

Faith is washed, my desk is cleared, my pulse is racing, and I’m ready to start my very first Reborn! First up: primer coat of Liquitex Matte Fluid Medium.

Wish me luck!

14 Likes

Good luck!!

1 Like

How exciting! Good luck!

1 Like

Have fun!!!

1 Like

Good luck — do you have any closed-eye realborns? That is what I’d suggest learning on.

1 Like

I picked Faith for that reason. I also have Kimber and Madison, but Faith is my first try.

Okay, not gonna lie…I panicked when I saw that first red layer on a leg. :crazy_face: I thought I had ruined her and tried to wipe it off, but it left a nice even layer of color. I made myself do it on the other parts so they’d match. It wasn’t until I got to her head that I calmed down because I could suddenly see what a great difference it was making. I might be too quick to react for this, lol.

2 Likes

Even after 5 years I still panic after some layers lol Any time I try a new color mix I panic when it goes on but just trust it and keep going. If it’s bad, you can neutralize it later with another layer. Just about everything is fixable if you do thin layers and take your time. Good luck!

1 Like

No I meant “realborns.” The kits that are 3D scans of real infants.
Faith is a very blank kit. Very difficult to make her look even halfway realistic, IMO. I definitely wouldn’t advise it for a person’s first reborning experience.

3 Likes

Good Luck!!! I love starting new kits.

1 Like

Oh, sorry! I’m sort of using Faith as test parts. I seriously doubt she’ll end up looking remotely real – especially since she currently looks like a purple and green alien baby – but I’m figuring things out by painting her. For example, I’ve only just realized that I’m an idiot who doesn’t know what “pounce” means, apparently, lol. It’s only at the end of this last panic round of flesh tone that I suddenly caught on with her head, which looks slightly more human now. At least it looks like it’s from this universe, lol. She’s going to be a sad, streaky, spotted, ugly little thing, but I’m going to love her anyway for what she represents. :heart:

3 Likes

I’ve done a primer layer, a red layer, a blue layer, a yellow layer, and then panicked and did a flesh layer (Unbleached Titanium + Portrait Pink). Before the red layer I did the veining with a Prisma pencil (Copenhagen Blue) which actually turned out fairly nice. If nothing else, I’m kinda proud of the veins.

Now I’m breaking for lunch so poor Faith can rest after what I’ve just put her through, lol!

ETA: I’m finally using my OttLite! A friend of my mother’s gave it to me a few years ago. She went to Joanns to find “something necessary for crocheting” and the sales woman talked her into the OttLite. It’s not remotely necessary for crocheting, so I felt so bad for that. I’ve tried it before with painting, but found it more annoying than useful. I’m LOVING IT with this, though! I’m so glad I’m finally getting some use out of it!

1 Like

How exciting! Have fun!

1 Like

Good luck. Just take your time n relax.

1 Like

Done for the day. I don’t have the heart to put her through anymore, lol. I think I’m going to stop here and strip her, then try again. She’s covered in blobs and has a weird shadow in places from a way-too-thick blue layer. I needed to have some cotton swabs for between her fingers and behind her ears. The first three layers I somehow got it into my head to slap on with torn off pieces of sea sponge, then wipe off with cosmetic sponges, leaving behind a weird heavy stain of color. I have no idea what I was thinking! It wasn’t until the flesh layer that I suddenly realized I was supposed to lightly brush it on, then pounce-pounce-pounce lightly with the cosmetic sponge to work it in and even it out. The next layer of red and of yellow went on quite nicely, now that I wasn’t doing it like a monkey with a sponge :hear_no_evil: ! There are too many blobs and specs and cat hairs (!) to try to fix. Better to just strip and start over, now that I’ve got the hang of things. I had fun, though!

The veins I was so proud of.

It’s a little hard to see, but this is them after several layers. Look at those cosmetic sponges saturated with blue paint! I used up FIFTEEN of them in the first three layers! :rofl:

Here she is now, resting comfortably, trying to put the stress of the day behind her. Poor shiny, blobby thing!

2 Likes

Just finished stripping her. My goodness, that Winsor & Newton Brush Cleaner is like a Factory Reset key, isn’t it? I noticed at the end that it had even gotten the paint stains off of my finger nails! After a thorough soap & water wash, Faith is drying on the rack. Tomorrow I’ll do a Dawn wash since I used regular soap now.

What I learned today was that while the Prisma pencils were great for veins, they were terrible for creasing. I have tiny brushes, so I’ll work on using paint, instead. I also learned that I need to go slower and make sure I really understand the instructions before diving right in. Enthusiasm is great, but it doesn’t always help you make progress.

I’m happy with the day’s efforts. I learned a lot and I’m ready to apply it all and try again!

3 Likes

Did you watch any tutorials before you started? You tube has great ones for air dry paint from Australian artist nursery (I forgot how exactly it called since I don’t use air dry).
Or watch ‘Reborn with me’ since paint application methods are not much different from GHSP.
I would also will not use Prisma pencil on veins or creases.
Good luck with your second try! I will be great! Just remember to go with a thing layers and take your time to check everything for thick ,pulling paint.

I see that some new people are finishing dolls in 2 days - this is impossible if you want a good quality and most importantly - to learn the process! Don’t rush. It’s not a competition who will finish first :slight_smile:

1 Like

I watched a few tutorials, but I didn’t look back over my notes. I was so sure that I remembered it all, lol.

Because I don’t plan to sell my dolls I really feel like I can take all the time I need. I want to build my skills at this, not just race to reach “good enough”.

2 Likes