Critique and Guidance needed

I’m working on a baby that I plan to enter into the fair this year. We started out good, but mottling got a little too red, so I’ve tried to correct it with some washes and may have muted the color a little too much. Any suggestions on livening him back up? This was taken indoors under an ottlite.

And the Ears, an area I still struggle with achieving realism. It looks ok to me, but feedback would be helpful. It didn’t show up on the photos, but there is some blue-purple-ish shading in the ear canal.

6 Likes

He looks good to me. I would probably do a purple wash if he was mine. But he looks great, I love his visible mottling. I always struggle with getting the mottling to look that way.

2 Likes

Love your mottling!

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. I love mottling & painting lips, they’re my favorite parts of the process.
For the purple wash, dark or light purple? I have eyelid purple, diox purple 06 & 02

1 Like

I’d probably do the eyelid purple. I mix a color similar, I don’t use the premixed ones. Also for the ears, maybe try adding some small veins and capillaries in there if you think they need more realism.

2 Likes

I recently learned of wash of eyelid purple mixed with a touch of burnt Umber. It gives a lovely effect

2 Likes

What does eyelid purple look like? I use air dry.

It’s the first picture on the left. In the pot it looks purple with a bit of dark red mixed in. This is what the wash looks like

4 Likes

It is likely a mixture of ultramarine blue and a warm red like pyrrole red. It is a very pure pigment and one of my favorite colors, but not for eyelids :wink: it is warmer than diox 06

2 Likes

I think he looks perfect! And I’m glad you brought this subject up. I don’t ever think about the fair until the week of. And that’s too late. I need to plan a baby to enter in our fair. :thinking:

1 Like

I think he’s perfect. I wouldn’t change anything. Are you going to root him?

I’m excited about entering. I entered a cake some years ago when I first moved here and got into cake decorating. It was my very first decorated cake, so I wasn’t expecting much. Once the fair opened and I went to view the exhibits, I couldn’t even find my cake and seriously thought they’d thrown it away or something, like it didn’t make the cut for display. When I finally found it, there it was center stage with a ribbon sitting next to it. I was soooo happy.

Hoping for a similar happy experience for my doll, but there are some seriously beautiful dolls on display every year. So I need to give this one my all if I want to stand a chance.

5 Likes

I haven’t decided yet on rooted or painted hair. I’d really rather him be rooted because I’m planning to sell him afterwards, but because I know he’s going to be handled and moved about once I drop him off for the event, I’m afraid his rooted hair will be all disheveled and crazy looking by the time the judging starts.

1 Like

Are any of them reborns? They’re pretty unique. I entered one in the fair one year and won a ribbon. They couldn’t figure out what category to put it in. It was so fun! We don’t have a fair here anymore. The closest ones are 45 minutes away.

2 Likes

Yes, there were a few of them in the past few years that I’ve gone; maybe 10-15 of them. There’s a lady in the neighboring city of Camarillo who is a seriously good reborn artist. I first saw her dolls on Craigslist, I’m sure one of those entries is probably hers.
At our fair the reborns are displayed in the Novelty Craft division under the class Doll, other. In this division there are 2 other doll classes; porcelain/bisque and strung (which are ball jointed type dolls). There’s a lady who makes these ball jointed type dolls from paper, similar to how paper beads are made, they’re really cool. Then there’s also doll classes in the wood craft, clay and mixed media divisions. Dolls are really popular here lol.

I’d love to go to your fair! The paper ones sound fascinating. Will you take some pictures to share here?

May I suggest about the ear: if it would be my baby I would bring pink blush a little bit lower down of top ear fold. I am including my Easton ear, but by no means I am saying that my picture represent correct painting. I am just trying to show the area what I am talking about for lack of my description words.

1 Like

Yeppers, I’ll take lots of pictures. I see the paper doll lady at almost all of our little festivals and street fairs. They really are neat looking.

1 Like

which part?

1 Like