Crazy looks

Okay, since I’m new here and new to reborning, I have an odd question. Does anyone else get strange looks from people when you talk about making a doll that looks like a real baby. I get things like, " What do you want that for?" or 'That’s just creepy." or “Are you going to be one of those crazy doll ladies?” I really am enjoying the artistic side of trying to recreate these babies. I’m not a doll collector, but I do have a few now because I was fascinated by them. Anyone else?

1 Like

Pretty much everyone but my “reborn forum buddies” think I am nuts. Then when I tell them how long it takes to paint one (20 hours) and to root one (20 hours), they really think I am nuts.

4 Likes

Haha! We are definitely nuts!! :smile: Be proud! lol, You are doing something that you love, enjoy and take passion in like the rest of us on here! Making these babies (HA! the funny part is, is that I never call them DOLLS!, they’re too real to feel like a doll, Lol.) Anyway, making these babies is more than just ‘art’, it’s that feeling that you created this with your own heart for someone to love and to be a part of a family. They are indeed, very amazing.

(I do Love the artistic side of making them though. I have successfully attempted several different ‘Arts’ and I would say that reborning is most definitely something that I enjoy the most!)

2 Likes

LOL …you stole the words out of my mouth…

1 Like

5 Likes

My family is pretty encouraging, but lately I get the rolling eyes if I bring out my pictures to share, but that’s okay :smile: I go home and enjoy every limb and head completed or half finished, all wrapped in their blankies and tucked in their baskets and prams! I enjoy my time “away” :smile:

1 Like

I just googled it, Michelle. I am intrigued! I think this may be a good science fair for my daughter. Have a factory-made doll next to a reborn doll and predict the reactions based on the Uncanny Valley hypothesis. Thank you!

2 Likes

I definitely know what you mean about not talking about it. I went to the hardware store the other day and asked for E6000. He said they didn’t have any but had similar glues and asked what I needed it for. I tried being vague and said “to glue vinyl” but that didn’t satisfy his question so I said “to glue mohair to vinyl” Finally I just said with a bit of embarrassment “Fine, I make lifelike baby dolls and need to seal the inside of the head!” He gave me ‘that’ look that we are all familiar with. You know the you-are-nuts-but-not-in-the-psycho-killer-kind-of-way! LOL

Although…sometimes I like to freak people out with them too. It can be pretty fun if you are in the mood for it. :sunny: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You got it! :slight_smile:
She is a very intelligent and inquisitive 12 year old in the 7th grade.

2 Likes

My cats and dogs are excited about the mohair but ignore the rest of the doll unless they want the attention. Just not so great to have the chihuahua and the kitten trying to wrestle or play tag in the middle of the bed where I’m rooting or painting. My friends have gotten interested in them finally. Their kids and grandkids are amazed by them and the reality. My kids aren’t so interested but deal with mommy’s little projects. I really want to start taking one out just to see reactions but family is a little weird about that. I’m in the hospital right now so maybe I’ll get them to bring me one in to play with tomorrow. On the other hand, my son is coming from Indiana with my real granddaughter tomorrow to see me. So I may be getting some real baby love part of the time.

1 Like