Cracks😬

Has anyone had any problems with cracks? I have had two kits now to do this! What causes this I wonder?

high heat settings

1 Like

I have mine on 6. That’s what I always have. Should I go lower?

The vinyl I’ve had with cracks happened before I painted them… I think some are just faulty

3 Likes

Do you see cracks before or after you painted them? Are they old sculpts? Where they stored properly?
Or the cracks are in varnish? Did you use powders?

3 Likes

At first I thought it was in the varnish u til I examined better. They weren’t old. I had bought then directly from BB. I didn’t notice crack u til I had painted them. It’s starting to worry me. They were stored in my house.

Heat setting can break down vinyl and cause underlying issues to surface such as weaknesses or air bubbles in the vinyl that lead to cracks. This is why so many companies are now putting up a disclaimer on their kits about heat setting not recommended so they are not liable to cover any losses from it. In addition to heat in general, if the heat is too high that can also cause issues. I can’t answer you about what setting to use as I still use my little table top convection oven I have had for years when I heat set and it goes by degrees not number dial. I primarily use air dry paints but I do use Genesis varnish on the hair and sometimes the kit. I also have some Genesis paints that I sometimes use for a layer or two if I feel the kit needs a bit more blush after I have applied heat set varnish. For the most part though, I do not heat set my kits any more than I have to.

1 Like