Closing an open eyed kit

Has anyone ever attempted closing the eyes on an open eyed sculpt?
Does the Sculpty stuff work for projects like this?
Any opinions?

I like the open eyes so it never occured to me. You’d have to have something in the socket to support the clay, even tinfoil would work. And you have to be sure to blend the sculpey smooth before baking. It’s surprizing how much a little rough spot will show up. I’ve only used it to play around with. Made a couple of things that weren’t too bad.

What does the sculpy stuff feel like once it’s baked? Will it blend with vinyl?

do you need to rough up the vinyl tp get it to adhere?

Anybody want to try it for me? Those of you who have sculpting experience and a test head?

If it’s possible, I will pay someone to close the eyes on Annie.

Any takers??

I was experimanting last summer when I was still waiting for my first kits to arrive. It was an Italian doll with “closing” eyes,which have gone rusty. I’ve removed them and added clay to make closed eyes. Super sculpey matched the vinyl color good, but it cracked after baking since I didn’t know I should use some kind of adhesive such as liquid sculpey. I’ll probably try that again when I return home for the summer again.

— Begin quote from “luv2Lrn”

Do you hve a pic???

— End quote

here is a (very poorly) photoshopped pic. Squint your eyes to look at it. This is what I want.

— Begin quote from “Windyday2”

Anyone ever open a closed eye baby? Like a half open eye?
I’m dieing to try both but need practice heads. I love sculpty!
I used to design and get manufactured all of my Balinese jewelry lines with it before putting into production. So many new types of polymer clays now.

— End quote

I opened the eyes on a Teagan sculpt. I just cut them with an exacto knife and sanded the edges. The only problem I had was having nothing to attach the eyes to inside the head to keep them in place. That was quite difficult but I succeeded.

She would make a cute sleeping toddler. I will have to pull out my box of rummage babies and play.

oh good Kim for taking up the challenge…I hope it works for you and you give us all the confidence to try. I have seen some really well done closed to open eye babies but I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone close one. Good Luck.

Come on everybody… chant with me… Do it Kim ! Do it Kim !

I am off work Tues and Wed and will try it out on a play doll.

— Begin quote from “Katy86”

that picture looks like a nightmare I once had!!!

I think annie would be a nice sleeping baby! do it kim do it kim!!!

— End quote

Hahahaha Katy it was a nightmare to get it to look “that” good LOL I told ya to squint at it. Okay maybe more like close yur eyes and imagine it LOL

Thanks Kim, let us know how it goes !!! ( I cant wait !)

I’m testing it out ladies. But you’ll have to wait for pics.

waiting

Your baby looks great!! Very natural.

Kim, how did it go??

Ok, so here is my feeble try. I really should have stripped the head first, but I didn’t want to waste my acetone for a practice run. I think I should have made the crease lower than what I did. The clay did smooth out against the head pretty good. I kept trying to paint it to match but it would be pretty involved, so I stopped.

Here is what the doll looked like before.

Here is how I did the eyes.

Before the first baking

Here’s the head with some coloring.

Here’s a photo in black and white. I was hoping to get a photo where the skin color sort of blended.

Thats pretty doggone awesome !! So it can be done !! YAY! Now I just have to learn how to do it… OOOOORRRRRR talk someone into doing it for me !! Hint Hint Nudge Nudge any takers ???

My concern is being able to match the clay with the vinyl. I have Annie. I am going to see what it might look like if the eyes were glued, as shown above. I’m not going to actually glue them but kind of squeeze them to see if it would work. (plus, I would be nervous doing it on someone else’s baby) Is this Annie going to be a keeper?

— Begin quote from “kimomax”

My concern is being able to match the clay with the vinyl. I have Annie. I am going to see what it might look like if the eyes were glued, as shown above. I’m not going to actually glue them but kind of squeeze them to see if it would work. (plus, I would be nervous doing it on someone else’s baby) Is this Annie going to be a keeper?

— End quote

Yes I want her to use Olivia’s first haircut hair on. And to use some of my favorite Olivia hand-me-downs on.