Caution to Other Reborners : Big Boss Breakdown

Last month I purchased a Big Boss to heat my doll parts with GHSP.
I was thrilled. Easy to use, turns itself off automatically. Perfect. Now, like many reborners I was very paranoid about melting parts, having the right temp, etc, so I got an oven thermometer to verify the proper setting which ended up being lower than indicated on the unit. Everything was great. Baked parts to perfection multiple times.

Now, I usually always stay nearby when baking and have never left an oven of any kind on when not home, but today my husband decided to work from home and my normal routine was disrupted when we decided to go out for lunch at a nearby resto. When we left, the limbs were cooking but it has an automatic timer which had never failed before so I took the chance and left. I had baked the limbs and head earlier today with no problem.

I guess I should mention that I was making a baby that resembles my son as a gift for my momā€™s 80th birthday on April 25. We live in another province and plan to make a surprise visit for the big day.

When we got home from lunch I found the oven was still on even though the timer was done. It had been baking the limbs for at least 1 hour. :anguished: Obviously the parts are now deformed.

I was making Shyann and could always use limbs from another kit but my local store is out of ovens so I canā€™t bake anyways and I donā€™t have much time left to have this ready on time if I wait for shipping, etcā€¦ I am kicking myself right now.

You ladies are probably thinking I should not have left and you are right. If I were home I might still have overcooked it because I kind of relied on the timer after it had proven trustworthy in the past. But at least it would not have baked as long.

The weird thing is now when I try the oven it bakes and stops BEFORE the timer rings. You have got to be kidding me.

So Iā€™ll be getting a refund on this lemon but I just wanted to warn you to be extra careful and maybe use a second timer just in case. Especially if youā€™re baking a baby for your mom. Now thatā€™s a sentence Iā€™d never thought Iā€™d write in my lifetime. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Bebe, what a terrible ordeal. You are so lucky there was no fire. I guess it helps that we bake at a rather low temp as oven temps go. I am so sorry this happened to you. I would probably have gone with my hubby and trusted the timer as well. I as so thankful that your house, and your family are all safe from all the scenarios that could have occurred.

2 Likes

I just recently melted a head in my NuWave oven,it does stop when timer goes off but the heat remains.

1 Like

Honojane
Thanks for your kind words. I was glad it didnā€™t do more damage. I donā€™t think I could have forgiven myself if it had caused a fire. It is Murphyā€™s Law I guess that the one time I leave home it breaks down and keeps cooking only to revert to cooking for shorter than normal now.

1 Like

smcoddi
I too used to leave my parts in the oven after cooking to cool but I never had a problem till now. It just never stopped cooking even after the timer was done. Iā€™m sorry you melted your doll head.

I melted a dolls head one time looks like a cone head now lol
glad you and your family is ok
I think we have all been there done that lol

1 Like

Is a Big Boss like a NuWave?

Iā€™m sorry you melted one, too, rosegrif111. Thanks for the kind words.
The timing for this thing breaking couldnā€™t be worse if I had tried, though. Iā€™ve checked around and to get another to ship on time would be difficult.

Iā€™m sorry you melted one, too, rosegrif111. Thanks for the kind words.
The timing for this thing breaking couldnā€™t be worse if I had tried, though. Iā€™ve checked around and to get another to ship on time would be difficult.

@smcoddi
Yes but it has a glass instead of plastic bowl which is why I chose it.

It does always stink to melt or otherwise ruin body parts ,but at least everyone is safe.

1 Like

My poor CooperšŸ˜°

omg he is definitely not surviving
so sorry

1 Like

LOL! So true!

I have a NuWave and it has always turned off on time but I set my timer on my phone for 1 minute less so I have time to get to the oven. Iā€™m forgetful so I keep my phone in my pocket so that wherever I am, Iā€™ll hear the alarm.

Iā€™m so sorry youā€™re having to deal with this. I hope youā€™re able to make another baby in time.

Is there anything I could do to help you?

1 Like

@smcoddi So sorry about Cooper. Maybe we could put together the legs I melted which resemble his face in shape right now (arms for some reason only got shiny and dot imprints from towel) and put them in the future BB museum as the What NOT to Do exhibit.

@AmyR777 Thanks for the kind words. Good thinking on the extra timer. I have always let my parts cool in the Big Boss. I guess you canā€™t do that in the NuWave?
I think I may be able to get a new Big Boss tomorrow if Iā€™m lucky and the Walmart online ā€œlimited stockā€ indicator for a store 30 minutes from here doesnā€™t mean ā€œwe have one left that is defective or in totally demolished packagingā€. Hubby is willing to get it tomorrow night while I put the kid to bed if they have it. Fingers crossed.

@Nikkiroc You are very sweet, but I donā€™t think there is anything you can do. If we lived next door to each other I might come over tomorrow and bake some baby but I donā€™t think we are in the same area. (There I go again, baking babies. :stuck_out_tongue: ) I appreciate the sentiment, though. :relaxed:

3 Likes

Yes we would for sure have a what not to do babyā€‹:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

I was thinking maybe I could take finished parts from one of my dolls and send them to save u timeā€¦ But then, they wouldnā€™t match coloringā€¦ I will take off my 19 inchers legs if you need them. If you have read any of my other postsā€¦ They would be Jeffreyā€™s legs, or armsā€¦ Whatever u need. Jeffery wonā€™t mind, he loves being part of experiments! :flushed:

@nikkiroc
Thank you so much but I have some parts I can use here. I just need to get an oven.

OkšŸ˜„ I only have one of those, and itā€™s pretty heavy and attached to my wall. Good luck! I know how it is when you want something special for your mom. There is nothing I wouldnā€™t do for mine:-)

1 Like

Yeah, I donā€™t think Canada Post could handle it. :laughing:
Thanks!

2 Likes