Can you use plastic paint palettes?

can you use plastic paint palettes for mixing genisis paints or does it have to be ceramic or glass??

— Begin quote from “stace999”

can you use plastic paint palettes for mixing genisis paints or does it have to be ceramic or glass??

— End quote

I wouldn’t recommend them. Genesis have some ingredients that “soften” the plastic, and it becomes unusable after a while. You won’t be able to clean the palette.

If you’ve ever worked with polymer clays, then you’ll know what I’m talking about. Leaving raw polymer clay on plastic surface will “melt” it after a while. I think it’s the same thing inside both materials.

Glass and ceramic work best and can be cleaned much easier.

— Begin quote from “stace999”

— End quote

The only plastic you can use with Genesis is called PET plastic (polyethylene terephthalate). Genesis will melt other plastics, even if it takes awhile to do so.

Your choices are: ceramic, glass, metal, and PET plastic.

Bountiful Baby

i have been using a hard plastic one for almost a year and I do not see any problems with it. I got it at hobby lobby. It is hard plastic.

I use the ceramic one for all of the colors and I use a small dessert plate when I mix up the skin tone that I will need for doing many layers

[size=14]I just use a ceramic egg tray and I love it. The ceramic is perfect and the deviled egg tray gives me all the wells I need for paint, and it cleans beautifully.
[/size]

thanks ladies!! i just posted on the tips sections of the forum about using jar babies food jars. thought there would be less waste since i could save every drop and safe since i have toddlers in the house!!! thoughts???

— Begin quote from “Ludmila”

I have number of baby food jars with all different colour washes, but I just use ordinary white porcelien plate as a palette for mixing different colours for shading and blotching.

— End quote

That’s a beautiful Shyann. I have been using a plastic paint palette also, so far no problems.

I found an awesome candle tealight holder at Walmart. It’s pretty heavy so it doesn’t move when I mix paints. Plus genesis paint does not dry out in it. So I just store my mixed paint in it.
I use each hole for a different color.
Robot or human? … gMethod=rr
I also used one of those hard shiny plastic paint pallets made for acrylic paints. I didn’t have issues with it, but I cleaned it out after each use.

— Begin quote from “Jellybean Babies”

At Hobby Lobby a few months ago when I started, I found a round porcelian (sp? ceramic?) paint palette. It was with calligraphy stuff. I think it was 8 dollars. I love it! I don’t really wash it… just swab it out when I need to mix a new shade. It has six outer wells and one round one in the middle… think like a flower. Anyway, it is awesome!!

— End quote

I search for ever for a ceramic one! I never thought to look in the calligraphy section… I almost bought a deviled egg dish.

I have used a plastic pallete for years now. No issue at all except the one well I forgot to clean out and left blue vein mix in for about 2 months. It dried and stained the plastic …but didn’t melt the plastic or anything. I also use ceramic palettes and I love a glass memo holder that I use for eyebrow paint as it is on a slant.
BUT I did purchase a set of jars from a site that said the jars were genesis safe. NOT they literally turned to an awful jelly substance with the paint mix in it. Don’t use THAT!
joy

BB sells a metal one but the wells aren’t deep enough to store the paint in. I like the egg holder idea but the only one I have is carnival glass so I’m not using that! Plus I’m using air dry again for now!