Can you believe I made ANOTHER mistake? (ha-ha)

OK, I’m telling myself it’s a learning process…right? I rooted Raine with beautiful, too thick blonde hair with a 36 g needle. OK, that’s a typical beginner’s boo-boo. So now I’m using a 42 g on Lilly/Roberto Clemente…a little harder, right! To make it even MORE difficult for myself, I cut the long strand bunch of mohair into thirds, so I would have shorter pieces, and he wouldn’t end up with sparsely-rooted LONG hair. What a mistake! It looks awful, and it’s difficult to even know where to start, or fill in, because it’s so *&%$#@?! SHORT!!! Thought I was being smart! Do not try this at home! I’ll be switching to using the longer strands of mohair. I feel like such a dummy! (AGAIN!)

Sorry sweetie. This is a learning process rooting is not the easiest thing to get the hang of. Keep trying and hugs to you.

I agree with Debora it’s a learning process and it takes time. I started reborn 12/08. Finally just this month feel like I’ve make a few steps in the right direction.

Some things I was told that helped me:
Slow down…
Directional rooting…
Needle size (the smaller the needle the less hairs per plug)…
Root from the end of the mohair not in the middle…
Hair should be rooted in the direction it grows…
Quality mohair …
Draw patterns on the head and root one section before going on to the next…
Baking the head after rooting the hair… (I have done it, but don’t find it necessary)

I know it’s harder to root with shorter pieces of hair, however I like using shorter pieces. I like to use pieces about 1 1/2 inches long. Then when I’m done rooting I cut the hair… I knew all of the things I needed to do, I guess I was never serous about it before… The past few weeks I decided I was really going to make an effect to do it right. I know I still have a long way to go, but I have to say it’s so nice to see some improvement in my rooting.

Just keep going and one day it will all come together. Hang in there

— Begin quote from “rjbour”

I agree with Debora it’s a learning process and it takes time. I started reborn 12/08. Finally just this month feel like I’ve make a few steps in the right direction.

Some things I was told that helped me:
Slow down…
Directional rooting…
Needle size (the smaller the needle the less hairs per plug)…
Root from the end of the mohair not in the middle…
Hair should be rooted in the direction it grows…
Quality mohair …
Draw patterns on the head and root one section before going on to the next…
Baking the head after rooting the hair… (I have done it, but don’t find it necessary)

I know it’s harder to root with shorter pieces of hair, however I like using shorter pieces. I like to use pieces about 1 1/2 inches long. Then when I’m done rooting I cut the hair… I knew all of the things I needed to do, I guess I was never serous about it before… The past few weeks I decided I was really going to make an effect to do it right. I know I still have a long way to go, but I have to say it’s so nice to see some improvement in my rooting.

Just keep going and one day it will all come together. Hang in there

— End quote

By golly, that’s a cute baby. That rooting looks good too.

vcarter Thank you so very much…

Thank you for the shoulder to cry on…rooting is a hot topic, and for me, one of the most difficult parts of reborning. I was relieved to know you cut your strands, too, and it works out ok. I’m going to switch from rooting from the middle to the end…I think I’ll have a better outcome. I am moving slowly because it’s intense work (for me anyway), and I want it to look good. I’ll follow all your advice, thank you!