Can I see your GHSP/Air Dry?

My husband and I are thinking about having another baby. If I become pregnant, I don’t want to bake vinyl every day, and deal with paint thinner on a daily basis. For those of you who have worked with both GHSP, and air dry paints, would you be willing to show me an example of each? Many of you have told me that air dry paints are of a lesser quality, but I am wondering what they would look like in a side by side comparison done by the same artist. Also, please tell me which brand of air dry paints you’ve used. There has also been a debate about their longevity. Would you consider air dry paints to be as archival and versatile as GHSP? I am considering learning to work with them now ahead of time! Thanks! :smile:

3 Likes

These are good questions and I’m looking forward to hearing what folks say😄

2 Likes

@Sony72

3 Likes

I’m pretty passionate about this subject. :slight_smile:
I switched to Air-Dry for health reasons… Heating vinyl, and thinners (even the “safe” kind) are terrible for your health…
I can’t tell you how much more I LOVE air dry paints. Had I known, I would of switched long before I did! Debbie Henshaw was who helped me get started. She is wonderful. Her blog is full of resources and tutorials… I bugged the heck out of her when I first switched. Lol

I thought I had been reborning for 9 years on and off but I recently went through family pictures and realized that it’s only been 7 or so years, and that has been on and off. I stopped for extended periods of times (sometimes almost 2 years) during that time since I had 3 babies in those years. I used Genesis for the first several years and then switched to air dry… Trying 3 different types before settling with my current set up. Just saying all that to encourage you that you can master what you want the paints to do for you in a short period of time.
I’ll show a few examples of both types of babies…

Genesis

My first air dry babies. Using LDC paints over Genesis Matte as a primer.

Using art and magic paints over Tile and Glass as a Primer. This was my 4th or so time using air dry paints. Rowan Sculpt.

These two babies were the first mixing my own colors.

And after several air dry babies… This is my current work.

Here are 2 ethnic air dry babies, just for example. The only darker skinned babies I’ve done. I need to practice more on these. It’s not my comfort zone. :wink:

I hope this helps some. In my opinion it is NOT about the kind of paints you use. I’ve seen terrible Genesis and Air dry babies. I’ve seen both have issues. It’s learning to use which you choose. Creating your own style. I’ve bought MANY different reborns over the years and I truly believe that you need to use quality paints and mediums, however, when applied incorrectly it doesn’t matter what you were using. It’s trial and error and researching them, also equipping yourself with knowledge. This forum is so great because there is a wealth of shared knowledge.

I’m still learning SO much. I know I would get bored if I ever felt I had learned it all.

Oh, as far as durability… I have air dry and Genesis babies here that I painted for my girls, and they were very loved and played with by their Mommies. My Aunt also has some of my first dolls, so does my Mom. Shine is the only problem we’ve run into. That’s happened with BOTH Genesis and Air Dry dolls that were played with frequently. I just Matte them again if that happens… And I haven’t had a baby returned to me yet. Or an unhappy customer… If it ever happens I will just do my best to repair whatever is wrong.

16 Likes

Wow! You are amazing!!! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I love your work Misty!

2 Likes

Beautiful babies!!

2 Likes

Thank you Izzy and Nikki. That means a lot to me.

*can someone tell me how to reply to two people in one message? I can’t figure that out.

2 Likes

Just say @Nikkiroc and @allhisgrace for example lol. It’ll notify both people.

2 Likes

I use air-dry paint because my mother passed away almost 2 years ago with cancer. I have 2 little girls to raise and frankly, baking vinyl scares me. Not knocking anyone who does this, but not for me. (I am a worry wart.)
This is my 6th baby with my Luminaire paints. Evey one gets a little better. I’m still learning. Wishing you the best of luck with the decision you make.

5 Likes

I’ve always used air dry so I don’t have any done with Genesis for comparison but here are some done with air dry

6 Likes

I made these 2 with air dry that I bought on amazon when I started.

this are with Genesis Heat paint
I don’t have favorite but I find that with the air dry I can get a dark skin tone easier

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply! This was just the type of info I was looking for! Do you mind me messaging you with questions as I’m learning?

Cuties! Nice work!

1 Like

Aww, I love them!

Thanks everyone! You all have lovely babies! It’s nice to see quality air dry work. I’ve even been admiring some of your work, and never knew it was air dry! :wink: :slight_smile:

Can you also please tell me how long it takes for the air dry paints layers to dry before you can add the next layer?

I’m using Special Care Nursery paints and really like them. I let layers dry for about an hour. They are dry much quicker but I like to give it time to rest. Really if I start with the head? By the time I finish the last limb the head is completely dry for a new layer.

2 Likes

Perfect! I am not the most patient person in the world. Lol. So I was afraid I would end up having to wait and get impatient.

2 Likes

I switched to air dry after getting ill with the GHSP from the vinyl fumes while baking. GHSP is a high quality paint and the light-fastness ratings on all but 1 of their colors is rated 1 which is the highest. They have also been tested and approved for being non-toxic. The problem for me is when the vinyl has to be baked for the paint to cure and the fumes from the vinyl causes respiratory problems for me along with migraines.
I do consider air dry paints to be just as archival and versatile as GHSP. The key is to research your paints and find if they meet the quality and performance of what you are looking for. I have used JoSonjas, Liquitex, LDC, Luminaire(not recommended), Art & Magic, Miracle Blend and Real Effect. Liquitex and Real Effect are my favorite paints.

Gabriel is one that I did several years ago with GHSP.

Fei Yen that I used Liquitex

Rebecca that I just completed a few weeks ago with Real Effect

6 Likes