Can I boil my head after I've painted it? Ahhh!

Help! I’ve put 6 layers of paint on & after the last one my Ava Raine head looks “off”. Nothing melted and the temp was right but her head was on it’s side (she’s top heavy) & the side that was facing down seems kinda sunk in at the temple now and that cheek isn’t as fat as the other. Her bag said if she got misshapen during shipping to boil her a few minutes & it would return to normal. Will that work for this & can I do it after I have paint on her?
I tried stuffing paper towels in her and baking her but to get it puffed back out I had to stuff it so much the other side was getting bigger too, making it worse.
any advice?
Thanks!
Nicole

Yes, you can boil it. I find baking works better though. Push it in the shape you want and hold it in cold ice-water. That’s how I fixed my kali that had a melted head. Took about 3 times, but it got better each time.

Thanks! I knew I could count on you guys! I’m going to go try this as soon as my kids go to bed.
Hugs,
Nicole

You don’t have to actually boil the head every time. If I don’t feel like boiling a flattened or mis-shaped head or any part for that matter, I just take my kettle and bring water to a boil. I take whatever part is lopsided and place it in a clean bowl or something big enough to support the part upright and just fill the part with the boiling water. Let the part sit for about 5 minutes and empty it out. Wah-lah part is back in shape.

Thanks! It went back pretty close to normal just baking it. Then I did the ice water. It worked pretty good but I am not confident to try to reshape it. I feel like when I push out the right cheek I’m drawing in the left cheek or temple. I’m going to try this next.
Hugs,
Nicole

When I turn the part upside down and fill with the boiling water, I never have to plunge it in ice water at all. I think from the pull of gravity, it must make it go back in shape. When I empty out the hot water after about 5 minutes, it is back in shape and stays that way.
I too am working on an Ava Raine here. In fact I am just getting ready to line her face with black felt and call the head done. Boy took a lot of hours to root that big head, but she is beautiful when done. I did run into trouble tough with the vinyl being extremely thin in the face area so be very careful of over heating. Wow was very hard to heat set the paints and not over heat the vinyl as well. Had issues with the vinyl turning shiny very easy from the heat. Limbs were perfect just the head was a pain to do. Good luck. Off to sew her a body now.

I agree. Seems like the temple area that sunk in a little is thinner. I didn’t have to use the water as each time I bake her she looks better. I can’t even tell now.
Can you post a pic of yours when she’s done?
Hugs,
Nicole

Sure will and you do the same okay? Good luck.

I will but remember she’s only my second! Lol
hugs,
Nicole

Little tip for you. Line your Ava’s face area with black felt! Her vinyl is very thin and it gives depth to her face especially where you have added any of the blues.

Oh thank you thank you! I’ve already done her blue undertones and two layers of creases and she still just doesn’t seem to have that depth I should see coming on. I’m going to try that! That was much appreciated. That’s why I love it here.
Hugs,
Nicole

Here’s my Ava all done. Now the dreaded picture time. How you coming along with yours?

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/vawestley/2009_12010043.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/vawestley/2009_12010037.jpg

Oh my goodness! She’s beautiful! I love her hair! What kind is it?? Well I kind of got stuck on mine-scared to mottle so she’s just been sitting on the table. Sometime today I’m going for it. It’s ticking me off that I’m scared to try it. Lol.
Hugs,
Nicole

Thank you! You know Nicole, Ava really looks like an older baby so I wouldn’t really worry so much about the mottled skin look for her. Usually the quite younger ones have that. I went more for a very pretty skin tone mostly . With her colored vinyl, it was very easy to create nice colored skin. I used Slumberland adult fine mohair , but from the older hair she used to sell, not the newer stuff.

I was kind of wondering about that. It’s for my neice who loved the one on Laura Tuzio-Ross’s website, and she looks a few months old. I’m just not sure. I saw one that looked like a toddler with light brown thick hair done in pony tails and bangs. I personally thought she looked fabulous as a toddler.
Hugs,
Nicole

Yeah her sizing plus she just has an older baby look to me, that is why I was thinking along the lines of about 4 to 6 months look.