Calling all air dry painters! UPDATED post #30

I need your help. I need to strip some air dry paint off. I tried Windsor and newton brush cleaner on a cotton ball. I tried it with a scrub brush. I tried it with a scrubby sponge. Nothing. I got desperate and tried comet in a spot. Nothing. Alcohol is hard to come by right now but I will hunt it down if needed. I’m trying to fix my daughters discouraged heart so any help would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Did you use the brush cleaner and restorer or just the brush cleaner?

1 Like

Brush cleaner and restorer :cry:

1 Like

Get a glass bowl and a paint brush. Load that brush up and work it in, keep at it. The paint will come right off. Excess will drip into bowl which can be loaded back into the paint brush. Creases can be hit with a toothbrush. Stripping a kit always sucks, but you can get this done in like 20 or 30 minutes. @Kate

3 Likes

With the W&N? I scrubbed at it for a good 20 minutes with that and it didn’t budge at all. Just got tacky. Should I repeat?

1 Like

Try and track down some 91 percent rubbing alcohol. I have found this works better on air dry paints to strip

4 Likes

If you use the 91% or more alcohol, it will come off quickly. I use a paint brush (used for that purpose only) and put some alcohol in a small bowl, and I paint it on. It really has worked well for me. No frustrations. I love it. It is also much cheaper than Windsor and Newton and non oily.

3 Likes

If you have any dollar stores near you, they may have rubbing alcohol. Even when the virus started, those types of stores still were stocked with things like that. Good luck!

1 Like

So I did find half a bottle of 91% in my cabinet. It did not work. I scrubbed and scrubbed. I let it soak. It did nothing. Not even fade it. Any other ideas?

@Ladybuggirl @judylane1961 @Jacelyn5440

1 Like

If it got tacky it’ll come off! I use cotton rounds, I let it sit for 5-10 minutes and then scrub, it can take some muscle occasionally but should come off! I’d throughly coat the surface in a layer, leave for 10 minutes and then take one of those scritchy sponges to work it off! Even stubborn paint should come off that way. What paint are you using?

3 Likes

Okay good! I will try again. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I’ve found cotton balls absorb more than they apply so the cotton rounds seem to work better, also, scrubbing in one small dime sized circle with a q-tip can get a section off, once a section is off the rest comes off easier!

2 Likes

I’m sorry I cannot help you more, I’m a collector, not an artist.

1 Like

I used to think this would never work and would use pure acetone to strip my kits, but trust me it works. Cotton pads absorb the w&n, paintbrush doesn’t. If you just are patient and keep swirling that loaded up brush around for a few minutes you will see. Then as it kind of soaks into the parts from you rubbing that brush around, it’s so easy. Wish I could video it. I have parts to strip right now.

3 Likes

Okay, I seriously just did a quick video. Stripped air dry paint down to bare vinyl with my left hand while holding a cell phone to record. @Kate

10 Likes

I have always used Winsor and Newton. I would try Dolly’s method there with the brush. I have always used cotton pads and tooth brush but gonna try that if I ever strip again.

Way back in the day I used Goof Off to strip Berenguer kits but you gotta do it outside due to such strong fumes.
Someone has said before to use something called Zip Strip. I have not tried that either but if all else fails…

2 Likes

When I strip a kit, I line up all the brushes that need a good cleaning as well, then rotate through them to strip the kit. They all get clean at the same time, so win-win.

7 Likes

Thank you so much for this! The video makes it look super easy. I am gonna give it a go again tomorrow and hopefully get some results. I will keep everyone updated on how it goes

3 Likes

Are you sure this baby is painted with Air Dry? I have never had a problem getting air dry off. But, that does not mean everyone’s experience is the same. It just bumfuzzles me (as the old folks used to say) that it won’t come off.

1 Like

Following as I’m expecting some W&N for stripping my air dry kits.

1 Like