Branching out. Updated with photos

So. I posted one of my reborns in the fb marketplace and was contacted by a lady in my town who was retiring and wants to give me her kiln and a literal truck load of porcelain doll molds. For free.

I asked my husband and he said ok. I have no clue where I will store them. And I don’t know how to do porcelain. But I’m excited to learn.

Crazy what happens with doll people. Lol.

I asked her why she doesn’t sell them and she said she wants someone to use them. Not just take the lot and resell the individual molds.

15 Likes

Wow! Please post the pictures of your NEW hobby but I hope that you will still continue to create your wonderful reborn babies!

4 Likes

Reborns are where my heart is. I will continue to make them.

4 Likes

That’s wonderful !! I love porcelain dolls and have a whole collection of them. I was looking into ways to make them myself and discovered reborns instead, lol

2 Likes

I’m excited to make them in unique styles like gothic and steam punk. But they will never take the place of making reborns.

4 Likes

@taylorsgirl Wow! How exciting to be trying something new. Please post pictures.

2 Likes

That sounds like fun. Looking forward to pictures!

2 Likes

I will absolutely share pictures.

3 Likes

I called a ceramics place in town and they told me I would have to pay for studio time to fire my pieces, so I got a magic chef, reborning supplies and started my reborn journey. Can’t wait to see your work

2 Likes

My parent’s did ceramics for many years. She also did porcelain dolls for many years. Wanted me to carry on the tradition but pouring molds was never something I liked to do. I started when I was 5 with ceramics and helping my dad pour. Have fun and share pictures.

3 Likes

When the lady said she had the molds I was going to say no. Until she said I could have the kiln too. That shocked me.

2 Likes

I would have been shocked too. What are the chances of that happening?

2 Likes

A million to one. And she’s in my town. So no travelling far to get it. :smile:

4 Likes

How fun! I have always wanted a kiln and make pottery!

2 Likes

I did porcelain dolls for years and still have a garage full of molds, so if I can be of any help just ask. BTW, that’s a nice haul, molds are expensive and so are kilns!!

2 Likes

Thanks.

Everyone tells me there is no market for porcelain dolls. I tend to disagree to an extent. Regardless I am excited to learn.

1 Like

Me too! I am so drawn to pottery. Something is so special and warm in that cured and glazed clay! Never tried my hand on it though :frowning:

2 Likes

Really❤️?! I love shopping at flea markets and such for beautiful hand made pottery coffee mugs. There was a lady I bought some beautiful items from in the New Orleans French Market flea market. Everything was ocean inspired. I will have to snap a pic of my favorite mug by her tomorrow and share it. Her stuff took my breath away I wanted everything she had for sale lol!

2 Likes

Yes, please, share! I love natural wood pieces too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh my goodness lol, me too! I once bought at an artisan festival an mans jewelry box carved out of a beautiful beaver chewed log as a gift for my father in law.

2 Likes