Body stuffing

Hi there,

is there any info/tutorials on stuffing the bodies?
Do I put the poly pellets in first in the butt area? and then poly fibre fill? Do I put the poly pellets in a stocking or loose? some dolls I have it feels like it is loose.
How much stuffing/fillings do I use?

I tried a practice stuffing of the body that I am going to use for my robin kit but it looks too fat with the amount of stuffing I put in and I guess you have to use quite a bit of stuffing for a firm but squidgy body?
I think this body comes out to far in the front seam anyway so I am going to take in the seam a bit so the body doesn’t look to fat.

So please can anyone tell me what order to put the stuffing/fillings in and how much to use without making the baby look to podgy.

Thanks

Yes the BB bodies tend to be a little pudgy and it is hard to get them to not look overstuffed. You might try to take the front seam in a bit if you sew and taper it more so it fits the neck, but doesn’t puff out the chest so much. I put polyfill in first, then the pellets in a stocking bag and sit it in the body then more polyfill. The arms & legs I fill with glass sand, the polyfill, then caps. I also use a small bag of polypellets in the head, but only a small one, then fill with poly.

A lot of the ladies here sew and might be better able to give you tips on adjusting the body to fit better.

I do mine like Ginny said I always use little bags to put poly pellets in and if i were to use those little glass beads anywhere but feet and hands I put those in small bags. I sometimes have a small bag of those I use in the head. I do not throw small scraps of material away anymore I make bags of them. I recently cut a wedding dress off and hemmed it I am now using the strip of material off of it.

I use the really soft fiber fill sold here on BB - item 217- it doesn’t ball up and turn into shapes - i copied and pasted the discription of it at the end of my post- i use that inside the body - i use the regular fiber fill to top off the limbs and inside the head. what I do is put the soft fiber fill inside the body on the bottom - like above the leg joints - then i take a nylon ball with glass beads - about the size of an apple (for a newborn) and nestle that in the padding of fiber fill. I then surround that nylon glass ball with more of the soft fiber fill - I squeeze the baby at the bottom part of the body - around the navel - if i can feel the ball - i put more fiber fill- then I put fiber fill on top of the ball and up to about where the babies nipples would be - then i nestle a smaller nylon ball in that fiber fill - then do the same thing - surround it so the fiber fill acts as as a buffer between the nylon ball and the doe suede body - I squeeze - if I feel that ball or the side of the nylon - you know the firmness - I move the fiber fill around where when you squeeze the baby - you just feel the softness. last - I put more fiber fill over the nylon ball in the chest. I sometimes use a small nylon ball in the head - if the baby is a newborn size - but it is usually pretty small - no bigger than a golf ball. I do my nylon glass balls by taking a cup - putting in a knee hi hose - then pouring in the glass beads - about a cup or so - then I tie a knot in the knee hi and basically turn it inside out so it is doubled and tie another knot and then cut off the excess. when i first started a lady that had been doing reborns for like 14 years told me this is how she did it and it makes the babies feel very real. I buy the glass bead media on ebay and they sell it hear on BB too - and I have purchased it on here. It runs about the same price - I buy it in bulk for about 40.00 total (shipping) for 20 pounds. I posted a picture below of the glass bead media I use and how the ball looks. Oh - I also use a funnel to fill the limbs to above the knees - then top it off with the cheaper fiber fill - like from wal-mart. I did learn that the cheap fiber fill or poly fill (can’t remember what it is called) - it clings together - it kinda wants to make sections and so you can feel it inside the body after a while - but the cheaper stuff is good for topping off the limbs and filling the head. - a description of the soft touch fiber fill is below - I love it. Hope this helps.

Soft Touch Supreme is the highest quality stuffing we have found. It has siliconized fibers (of 100% polyester) resulting in a silky texture and “down-like” comfort and feel not found in any other stuffing. Easy to use, non-allergenic, and washable.

Thanks ladies for your replies. I’m going to take in the front seam on the body so it isn’t so fat looking.
Victoria, thanks for your description of how to fill and the photos, that will be very helpful.
I will order some of the BB fibre fill next time I do a big order from BB as I live in Australia and it would cost too much for me to just order that because shipping is so expensive to get here, I usually wait until I need a few things and that works out better for me. It is more difficult to get supplies here because everything to do with reborning that I can buy on the internet here is twice the price (sometimes even more) that I can get it in the U.S.

Do the plasic pellets work as well as the tiny glass beads for stuffing in the bodies?

— Begin quote from “sharron2074”

Thanks ladies for your replies. I’m going to take in the front seam on the body so it isn’t so fat looking.
Victoria, thanks for your description of how to fill and the photos, that will be very helpful.
I will order some of the BB fibre fill next time I do a big order from BB as I live in Australia and it would cost too much for me to just order that because shipping is so expensive to get here, I usually wait until I need a few things and that works out better for me. It is more difficult to get supplies here because everything to do with reborning that I can buy on the internet here is twice the price (sometimes even more) that I can get it in the U.S.

Do the plasic pellets work as well as the tiny glass beads for stuffing in the bodies?

— End quote

I had the pics saved in my photobucket albums. the bags of fiber fill from BB - I can usually do three newborns - if I use the cheap walmart stuff for the head and topping off the limbs. I have used those polly pellets - and I noticed lots of people use them - I just didn’t think the weight of them justified the price - even if they were cheaper. i could try using the pellets in the chest and the glass beads in the bottom - might try that. the lady that was my mentor - a few of the things she shared made a huge difference - b/c I was on the verge of feeling broken - and had not found this forum - she told me about the weighting - and she also told me that she used mona lisa brush cleaner to thin her genesis paints - nothing else EVER - I had been using odorless paint thinner and picked some of the mona lisa brush cleaner at michaels - and i was shocked out how differently the paints mixed and applied. I would never EVER post any suggestion that did not truly improve or help in making the dolls. I still keep the odorless thinner around to clean off my brushes - but the mona lisa stuff is amazing - and it is the brush cleaner - not thinner. I love it. I wipe the limbs down with it first - then start blushing - using the mona lisa to thin my paints.