Black specks/spots help

I would proceed with all your steps of painting and see how they cover. With various mottling layers, they might not be as visible.

Partial completion of the test:

Blue blurry spot (we’ll call it “1”) is Bic pen that has been on the vinyl for a long time. I was trying to make notes :joy: 2 is fresh Bic pen, and 3 is Sharpie

Here’s one thick layer after baking. I applied it with a brush straight from the jar. Couldn’t pounce because the wedge took it right back off, so I blended as best I could with the brush.

Second layer after baking

I think another layer or two will do it- kind of like using foundation before applying makeup! But there is a slight texture that’s different from the rest of the vinyl, so I’m not sure how layers of thinned paint will look over it. I’ll continue the test tomorrow-ish and post an update :blush:

Wow you sure went for it lol … let us know the final outcome x

1 Like

I have had them alot here lately,worse one was on the face.i got a seconds Priscilla and she had them on her face and legs.didnt contact bb,i was already painting and didn’t want to wait. Not complaining, was just saying that is very odd that theres alot of other sculpts are having the same issue.:thinking:

2 Likes

@grannyx3 Oh no how did you manage with painting and covering the black spots on Priscilla ?

Lots of thin layers.i know its there but you can’t see them unless you’re looking. I sold her to one of my regular customers.its for her daughter for Easter. She wont mind.she knows about it.

1 Like

I do not think you can complain to BB about spots on 2nd grade kits.

If you paint with airdry paints you should be able to cover the spots with not much trouble.

But baking might make it worse, what ever you do, do NOT try to scrub or remove them. There are many threads about these spots on this forum:

http://discourse.bountifulbaby.com/t/need-advice-with-black-spot-on-vinyl/52615/20

1 Like

All these types of stains can be safely removed with OXY 10. I have removed permanent marking pen, Bic pen, and dye that rubbed off purple tissue after many years of the stain being there, both from kits, old vinyl dolls drawn on by kids, and vinyl upholstered furniture.

I did not start taking pics until I already done one or more treatments, so originally these stains were much worse:

arm-2-OXY

head-1-before

BUT black spots on kits, unless they are made by dye or pen, will not come out with anything, they are rough ingrained impurities in the vinyl, and if the do come out they leave hole.

2 Likes

They actually do get pretty much covered. If not, they can be a little scratch or capillary.

2 Likes

Thank you for the photos! That OXY 10 is magical. I tried it once, not really expecting it to remove everything. But the pen mark vanished!

I wonder what my neighbors thought of the baby head basking in the sunlight of the windowsill…:joy:

2 Likes

It all depends on how deep the black stuff goes into the vinyl. This was just a tiny black spot, like a point of a pin, which I thought will be covered. After few bakes it got bigger and came closer to the surface, then it cut through the surface and when I tried to remove it I found it went deep and wide. I tried to fill it with some filler, but nothing worked. Thankfully, the sculptor sent me new arm.

1 Like

Agree i wouldnt contact BB about seconds kits . I was goiing to use Genesis but now wonder if i should use airdry.

1 Like

Thanks @Mommy2six do you use Genesis?

1 Like

Yes I do! A little matte or satin varnish will fill the little spot so the paint won’t pool there.

2 Likes

Wow! @ludmila that is more than just a speck for sure!

I had this issues a while back, I got a few kits with specks embedded in them. They were first quality and their replacements had the same issues.
I got my 10 realborn kits from the sale today and the first one I opened was covered in them. Granted, it was a seconds kit… But I have ordered plenty seconds before without any noticeable flaws.
I had to put her back in the box and walk away, in too scared to look the others over.
The embedded specks are impossible to cover and usually too deep to even attempt to remove, the ones closer to the surface leave a definite home or scratch no matter how careful you are at removing them.
So, is it something that is getting into the mold as they pour? I have noticed black specks all over the kits that are just on the outside/you can wipe off… There must be a lot of it floating around in the facility for it to be inside the vinyl and on the outside after production.
Sorry for rambling on, I just have kept to myself on the topic for a while

@Ledbetterlittles Oh no sorry to hear the bad news. Have you checked the rest of the seconds yet please let us know :cry: fingers crossed you wont have so many problems xx

I didn’t look that carefully at my kits I ordered (all seconds). I recently ordered a first quality kit (can’t remenber the name and it just went into the crate) that had a couple of imbedded black spots too.

I was a silicone mold maker for many years. It sounds like their molds are dirty and they are contaminating the vinyl.

I still haven’t, lol, I don’t don’twant to be disappointed. I will look them over in a little while though. I picked up my chihuahua puppy this evening so we’ve been snuggling :heart:

2 Likes