Beginners unite

Where are all my other beginner artists? How’s it going? What are your triumphs? Frustrations?
How long have you been reborning? How many babies have you painted? Who’s your favorite? Least favorite? What kits are you holding out for until you “get good enough”

4 Likes

I’ve been doing it for about a year. I’ve painted about 28 I think. I absolutely love it. Biggest frustration for me is rooting hair. I hate sitting in one spot for a long time so I just get so impatient :laughing: My favorites are pretty much and of Bonnie Brown’s babies. Also, Ashley, Dominic and Lavender is some of my faves. I have several I have been saving lol. Loulou, April, Ephram, especially because they are SOLE kits and I dont wanna mess up!

4 Likes

yes, I am still a very beginner. I am still working on my first kit, Maddox. of course I probably would be done if not for my back. I have had to spend many months on my bed, in horrible pain. The doctors wont do surgery unless it life or death. So its been hard to treat my back. I just cant feel creative in this much pain. They are now going to do a eblasion to cauterize the nerves.Sorry for going on my favorite kit to wait and do is my Ever kit, I want to do it very well :woozy_face:

4 Likes

What mohair are you using? I found alpaca takes me forever and I can root much faster with kharmandolls from Etsy! I’m so glad I found it! Made rooting so much easier. I use a 46g needle and usually root and listen to tv so I’m kinda doing more than just sitting around

I have a loulou I’m saving too :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I also use karmanDolls. I have done my last 2 babies with it and it is amazing. Definitely makes the rooting easier.

3 Likes

This is my favorite needles also. Pretty much all I use.

3 Likes

You picked a rough one to start with lol Maddox is huge and full torso! But so worth it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I started with Shyann and then did a few others and had Maggie in there that I have since stripped. I’ve stripped at least ten of the ones I’ve started painting including my Ever. She really didn’t want to take paint the first time so it was a struggle. Then I ended up taking her to far and had to start over. The second time around went much smoother. I’d invest in some Windsor and newton brush cleaner and restorer. Stripped them faster than anything I’ve ever used.

Soooo you can paint your Ever worry free :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I was using the pink ones 42g I think? But the small needle hurt my hands so I got the purple and white felting tool needle holder and order the smallest gauge in bulk from BB I’m terrified of leaving big holes

2 Likes

The big bottle of Windsor and Newton. I’ve been reborning since 1995 but I still use it. Great product.

3 Likes

You can make your own custom rooting tool with InstaMorph Moldable Plastic. You melt the beads in hot water then shape it however you want around the needle. You can make it wide or narrow, short or long, to fit your hand. If the needle breaks, you just re-melt the beads, remove the needle and put in another one.

4 Likes

Good idea I think I will buy some. So far he hasn’t been too bad of course I haven’t had nothing else to compare to.I have about 15 kits in all to do for now. I use Ultimate fusion and I like it so far, so wish me luck and one day I will get the pictures of Maddox for you talented ladies to see, :laughing: hold your breath LOL

2 Likes

I just now started and I started with asher awake he is my first

6 Likes

I’ve thought about that but seems like to much work! I’d have to make four or five of them to avoid having to remake it every time I broke a needle. I broke four in a row within half an hour the other night :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

I have been painting scene February, so far I have created 6 dolls sold 2 and have 1 waiting to go home! One of the people who bought a doll from me loves it and wants me to make them a custom this will be my first one and I am quite nervous but also very exited! My favorite part of the process is painting hair I will probably get into rooting later down the line but I want to improve my babies before I move on to the next thing I have to learn and perfect!

3 Likes

He is too cute for words OMG those eyes are perfect!

1 Like

I also have 2 babies that are almost done!

2 Likes

What kind of custom? That always worries me too. You never know exactly how custom they want.

1 Like

Thanks so much i have worried that he didn’t look real enough and that the eyes were too light.

1 Like

I never heat my heads. I fill them with polypellets up to the neck flange then pack them in tightly with paper towels. It keeps the vinyl from ‘giving’ so the needles tend to bend less. I almost never break a needle. They usually get dull before then. With the InstaMorph beads you can extend it pretty far down the needle which makes it stronger. A thicker rooting tool is more comfortable if a person has any issues with their hands.

3 Likes

When I do customs, they choose kit, gender, hair color and eye color. If they want a birthmark or something small like that I’ll do it but I have to know before I begin. I make sure they understand I won’t be sending progress updates every day (I think once a week, if that, is plenty). The rest is up to me. Otherwise, people can nitpick you to death.

3 Likes