Beginner here! Air dry paint issues

I am completely new to painting reborns and I was looking to start with air dry paints.
However I cannot find any of the glass and tile medium or any soft touch matte varnish.
Is there something else that can be used? Feeling defeated and I haven’t even started yet!

1 Like

I use Golden satin glazing medium to mix into the paints. You can find this at Michael’s. Your paints will need to cure for a couple of weeks before you varnish so you’ll have plenty of time to find some Softtouch or a good alternative :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use Golden medium mat, you can also use Liquitex medium mat. For varnish you can use DecoArt ultramatt or Golden polymer matt varnish.
There are a lot of already mixed airdry paint for reborning too that come with their mediums and varnish.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!
I only use the Soft Touch Varnish and a few weeks ago I went to search to replenish my supply I found some at Jerry’s and ordered, but now they show out of stock. It shows that it well be restocked(estimated) on 11/03/2020. You can select to be notified when it is back in stock.

2 Likes

While the Americana Soft Touch and DuraClear Soft Touch are on back order, would this stuff work? It is DuraClear varnish.

The DuraClear Ultra Matte works very well for sealing.

1 Like

The regular DuraClear is out of stock, too. The one I show in my previous post is a different kind that isn’t the “soft touch” variety but says it is also matte. I wonder how it would work on vinyl.

Michael’s and Jo Ann’s have the DuraClear Ultra Matte online.

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Question about the DuraClear Soft Touch Varnish: can it expire, go bad, stop working after a while? I just found a sealed bottle in a drawer that I bought about three years ago. Anyone think it will still work ok to seal a baby?

I’d open it and try it on a section of an unpainted piece. If it’s not okay, you can strip that section. I’ve had mine for a looong time and it’s still good.

1 Like

Thanks, Jean. Does Windsor and Newton take this stuff off?

It does.

1 Like

It’s OUT OF STOCK at Jerry’s and everywhere else!!

The DuraClear Ultra Matte is available at decoart.com. It’s also very good.

1 Like

I know! I must have gotten the last jar at Jerry’s and since then they show out of stock .

I know this was a long time ago. Is this something to use as a protective matte varnish since GHSP matte’s out? Just straight out of bottle? I have two little things of ghsp matte, glaze and satin. Can I use any of those in a mix? :thinking::sob::sob::sob:

I use this as my first coat of sealer. I use @anjsmiles recipe with cornstarch and water. I use Americana Soft Touch Varnish for the final seal but you can use just the DuraClear. I just like the feel of the Soft Touch.

1 Like

I have this on the way too. Thank you for your help :heartpulse::heartpulse:

1 Like

That’s been out of stock everywhere for months. Where did you find it?

1 Like