Becoming a good reborn artist

I see where you’re coming from. Sometimes I feel like I’ve hit a plateau— my dolls are good, but nothing special. I still haven’t quite figured out how to get there, but I add things here and there.

I used to write down all the layers I put on and just repeat that on every doll, but then I wasn’t learning anything new. I love learning from other artists on Instagram and here. Just a little something about a mottling color they use, or a tip.

2 Likes

Try doing darker mottling before you do any other layers and see if it makes a difference. A little more shading around eyes, nose and mouth would make those areas stand out. I love your Eliza. I can see the difference in your most recent baby. I have found that each baby gets a little better as you develop your own style.

1 Like

Thank you :heart: that’s where I get confused regarding the shading part? Do I use a slightly darker flesh colour on those areas?

Eliza sold quite quickly, she was very cute. I don’t charge a lot for my babies. I normally only charge about £70 - £80 not sure how much that is in dollars. I’m in Scotland in the UK. I look for cheap kits like perhaps the older bb kits. I try to only pay £30 at most for the kit. I don’t make any profit by the time I buy body etc. I don’t mind though as long as I can make enough for another kit I’m fine with that x

My babies really improved after I began using these pics posted a few years ago by @kristenj to do my shading. I also would recommend Sue-Ellen Taormina’s Patreon tutorials. Her basic tuts are great for creating a good, realistic baby.

11 Likes

Thank you, yes I repeat a lot of the same process. I’m going to change things up more and experiment. Hopefully I learn a lot more that way

I watch lots of reborn videos, I also find the forums very informative and helpful. Everyone here is so nice xx

2 Likes

Thank you, those pics are really helpful :heart: I’m going to try adding lots more shading. I normally only do a little bit of blue at the temple area x

2 Likes

Your babies are beautiful, I love the colouring on them x

1 Like

A test head that you can experiment on might be helpful. You can strip and re-use it.

5 Likes

Thank you, yes I’m going to have a look on ebay for a test head x

2 Likes

I wanted to share my babies (Alexis is a current Custom WIP and Levi is a keeper) since they show undertones really prominently which can be helpful to see I place my undertones like listed above on the drawn on photos btw. your babies are cute! I agree with others they could use more shading and more undertones!

6 Likes

Their gorgeous, thank you I can see the undertones and shading very well x

2 Likes

Thank you, I love your Levi :heart:

2 Likes

here was Levi pre hair with just her undertones (no yellow) and then mottling layers btw. I use the primary method in air dry. I’m constantly growing with each baby and it’s okay to feel stuck! Reference photos can be really helpful!

4 Likes

Hi, not an artist but just wanted to add. Don’t know how helpful this is but…
Sometimes the difference between just cute and incredible can be veins and the tiny shine highlights, esp for fair skin.
Also, eyebrows must be so difficult for everyone. I often see two orange lines for brows or strong brows placed high on the head, too round or too straight. These details can kill the realism for me.

We are always own own worst critic. If you’re enjoying what you’re doing, don’t stop. Tutorials and resources are out there. It’d be a shame to give up too soon!

It’s awesome you guys have such a supportive group here to help each other out, esp since most of the world doesn’t really get reborns and ppl who enjoy dolls. :two_hearts:

7 Likes

Do I add the undertones before the mottling? xx

1 Like

You can do it in any order you want. I always do mottling before anything else because it’s more muted under the other layers and, to me, looks more natural. I don’t want my babies to look like they have measles. Mostly, it’s personal preference.

6 Likes

The 1st thing I noticed is the eyebrows. To high. Than a lack of undertones and mottling.
It will come with experience and practice. A lot of practice.
Your Saskia is really good !

I am reborning for about 4 years, more than 100 dolls. I try to do something different on each one. I like to play with color, but I am more conservative than @eversunny (absolutely stunning!).
Each kit is a new canvas that give me new ideas. I let the kit speak to me.
I do mistakes, a lot of mistakes and I can’t count how many times I stripped…
I am far from where I want to be but I enjoy it so much that doesn’t matter really.

Have fun and let express yourself ! Let go the fear !

3 Likes

I have been reborning for 1 year and 8 months now. Ive done 40 babies and learn something new with each one. I’d say to best thing to improve is practice, practice, practice. Never stop learning. Here are a few of my babies.

8 Likes

Almost 5 years & 130 dolls completed (lots more in progress :wink: )
Here are my last 4
Each doll is different and each kit kinda tells you how to paint. I do different things on each doll. Some paint easy, others the paint soaks in and it takes a lot more layers. Some have imperfections, pin dot holes, etc.

12 Likes

You might want to reassess if you’ve been making the layers too heavy instead of light and almost translucent. Many light layer build up a skin tone and add depth, where heavier layers end up heavy and over done.

3 Likes