Baking the baby

Omg! There is nothing more stressful then the first time you bake your baby. I hovered over it the whole time making sure it wasn’t going to melt to a pile of goo. All the while my hubby is yelling out loud repeatedly " She is baking a baby". Mind you we were on our porch for all our neighbors to hear. They either think we are crazy or we probably will get police called on us for baking our baby since neighbors know we just had our baby a few months ago. My hubby is such a nut. Anyways the baby baked fine. But I did have to bake the body and then the head separately because lack of room in my nuwave. Is there a way to get all the body into it as once without anything touching? Pics of your baby baking would be good. So far I have been taking pics of all my steps, just got to upload them to photobucket and then I can post them on here. Oh and drilling out the nose holes was stressful too. I was so afraid I would slip and drill a big whole in the head. It turned out well and all little boogies were removed with Qtip and acetone to smooth it out.

I don’t drill the nose holes on my babies. I just shade it a bit darker at the deepest part. I can get a 20 inch kit in at one time by putting the legs and arms in a ring around the outside edge and the head in the middle.

Uploaded with Snapbucket - See this image on Photobucket.

Ok, so I figured out that I don’t have the Nu wave oven It is actually the Sharper Image oven. I was wondering why people were saying the setting numbers instead of degrees. Mine has degrees instead of number settings. Do you think its ok to go ahead and use the Sharper Image oven? There didn’t seem to be any problems when I used it on my first coat of paint. Only difference is it seems smaller then the Nu wave oven’s base. All the parts wont fit even when I arranged them like Pia showed me. Pia, you have so much experience and I value all your postings of knowledge. Thanks for helping me figure this oven out. Hmm. Wonder if I can talk hubby into letting me get a Nu Wave

I do love my NuWave and have it in the garage for baking. I think the Sharper Image oven will be fine - just bake in smaller batches. Did you check the oven temperature with an oven thermometer to make sure it is accurate? It is important to “get to” 265 degrees, but you do not have to spend much time there at all. I am anxious to see pictures of your babies progress and I love that your husband is an enthusiastic mate! Makes it so much more fun (I guess - since mine is not an enthusiastic mate).

— Begin quote from "pia"

I don’t drill the nose holes on my babies. I just shade it a bit darker at the deepest part. I can get a 20 inch kit in at one time by putting the legs and arms in a ring around the outside edge and the head in the middle.

Uploaded with Snapbucket - See this image on Photobucket.

— End quote

Ohhh, I have NuWave envy!

Your oven will be just fine; it is just a different brand of the same thing. But do get the oven thermometer to make sure you are baking it to the right temperature. I have contacted the GENESIS people and while they will not commit themselves to say what is right for vinyl, as it may depends on composition of each particular vinyl (different softeners), they reiterated that to properly cure the paints the doll has to reach the 265degrees for several minutes. I set the timer for about 5 minutes, that gives the time to heat to 265 for couple of minuts, and I leave the bits in after the oven turns itself off untill they are cool enough to comfortably handle.