Baking Babies

Hi everyone…I am a real newby…am getting ready to do my first…Shyann, so wish me luck…isn’t she pretty?

I bought an oven thermometer and going in, I cannot seem to get a
265 reading in any of my ovens. I have a Cuisinart convection oven and I can only set at 250 or 275 I can get inbetween increments.(any suggestions?) Can I bake at 250 or will it not cure? I tried the bottom of my built-in ovens and when set at 250, went back to check and it had climbed to almost 275… What can I use or what do I do to maintain a consistent temperature? I want to be sure everything is right before I begin. Which oven should I use?? Thanks so much ladies!

Linda

I’m sorry I can’t help you either. I just finished painting my 2nd doll so I am not very knowledgable about that subject yet. I didn’t have any problems with either of my 2 dolls. To check and see if the paint has cured enough at a lower temperature, after baking, rub a wet q-tip over the paint to see if any paint comes off. If the q-tip is clean then the paint has set. If the q-tip has any paint on it at all, put it back in the oven for a little bit more. Good luck!!! I can’t wait to see pictures of your baby.

Just thought I would share that I always set my oven to 165 degrees and bake my vinyls for exactly 10 minutes and so far so good,also you might do the suave test on babys foot nail to insure it passes. I thank all of you out there for the tons of info you give me everyday.
Becky

— Begin quote from “candikiss”

Just thought I would share that I always set my oven to 165 degrees and bake my vinyls for exactly 10 minutes and so far so good,also you might do the suave test on babys foot nail to insure it passes. I thank all of you out there for the tons of info you give me everyday.
Becky

— End quote

are you working with centigrade or farenheit?

If I were in your situation I would get the oven up to 275 then put baby in and reduce temp to 250 but bake for 10 mins so the temp will drop but hopefully the extra time should compensate. I have heard you can set your oven higher then put baby in and switch off the oven so you can leave it as long as you like ie if you tend to forget about it.

I use a convection type oven and get the temperature to 265 more or less and then turn off everything but the timer. Put in the baby and cook for the 8-10 minutes. Otherwise the vinyl does not like the heating element so close to it. I use a small towel and about 4" of fiberfill to put the pieces on and use an oven thermometer. The oven will hold the heat for that amount of time and you do not have to worry about it “kicking in” while the parts are cooking. It works well for me. And believe me, I have learned the hard way! Slumped a cute little Lidy head! Don’t put the baby in until the temperature has stabilized.

Hey and thanks so much for letting me know about the oven temperture and I would like to correct my post where I put my oven temp. to 165 degrees I really meant to put 265 degrees because I do set my oven on 265 and not 165, I leave my vinyls in for 10 minutes and its just the right time for me.Do you know anything about Asian skintones? I am in need of info. Thanks so much.
Becky