Bad news re: Genesis

Just saw this in my FB newsfeed, posted by a well known artist:

:weary::pleading_face::exploding_head:

2 Likes

That just stinks…i am at a point where im not willing to learn OR purchase product to learn a new technique.

:tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:

4 Likes

I learned to reborn with air dry, so if I have to go back to that one day, I think I’ll be ok. I have a lot of original Genesis left; probably enough for several dozen dolls. But I feel sad over this, for everyone.

4 Likes

This is already being discussed on another thread. GHSP being discontinued?! - #12 by anjsmiles

3 Likes

My dolls made with Air Dry paint still look the same as when I painted them. Alternatives and Realistics. The only ones that change are the ones I change the clothes on often and just need to be rematted after a couple of years of abuse, lol. Just saying!

4 Likes

I feel this too. I hate airdry paints. For me this is the end too.

Same here @AnnieSokay.

I’ve been painting for 7 years or so. I’m still in contact with buyers since they follow me on IG. One lady from a 6 year ago baby had to deal with some shine, but she revarnished and the doll is fine. Paint is in tact.

I have a lot of repeat business, which I definitely would not if my dolls weren’t holding up. Especially not for my prices.

I honestly believe that all of this stuff with air dry paint stems from those “Make a reborn doll on a budget” YouTube videos where they use 50 cent craft paint that promptly fades and looks like garbage. Far cry from the professional grade paints I use.

6 Likes

I really believe something will come along to take the place of Genesis. There is also the option someone else can buy out the Genesis color line and start producing it. I would suspect it would be in their best interest to try to sell it. It is my understanding they just decided they did not want to bother with all that making the paints with newer methods/ingredients entails.

3 Likes

Yes @DollyPardon I’ve been painting for 6 1/2 years. I would never use a Heat Set Paint but would not condone it or stop others from trying it. I do know that the transition for GHSP to Air Dry is a big learning curve. You also just have to find the right paint for your style. I started with one and was amazed at the difference of the the one I ended up using. I wish I was an expert on the different paints like @anjsmiles and @jeanhai who have used both. I wanted to try them all but I am kinda done. I will just be painting when I have a special request once I finish all of my customs.

I am happy for the new Heat Set Paint though so no one will have to stop painting. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

On a positive note, this could possibly cause a lot of the newer artists who see nothing wrong with painting counterfeits to decide to get out of the business. And the ones we have all seen on the internet who don’t care about quality and just slap some paint on a kit, not bothering to learn proper methods, to make a cheap sale, they may decide to leave the reborn art world.

8 Likes

Right, lol!

1 Like

I felt so bad for thinking it, but I agree, it could definitely help with the over-saturation of the market

4 Likes

I have enough genesis to paint hundreds of dolls. But i am thinking of trying out air dry. I dislike heating the vinyl.
But i dont know what paints to use or the techniques.

1 Like

Yes, which is a positive side, really. Most things ebb and flow, and I think it may help our art form, as maybe sales will eventually pick back up with the supply and demand issue improving.

2 Likes

I wonder if this is Kabelka or something completely different?

4 Likes

Hopefully something completely different

4 Likes