Baby's eyes are loose in the socket

My open-eyed baby’s (Drew kit) eyes are loose in the socket. I read somewhere that you can use E-6000 to glue them in place, but how do you do it? It’s hard enough to get his eyes in there in the first place (I’m inserting them from behind like you should). I can’t imagine trying to put glue in there. Also, how much of the socket can you safely open in order to get the eyes in there easier?

I open the socket about halfway only because after that it gets harder for me to reach it to cut it from inside the neck. As for the E6000, I use it even if the eye is in there tight just to make sure it doesn’t shift. I put the glue on the end of a popsicle stick and glue it or drizzle aim it after the rooting is done and hope it gets on the eye socket too. Most of the time the stick works better! As for the eyes being loose, I’ve never had that problem. Tight yes but not loose. Are they the right size eyes?

Yes. They’re 18 mm half-round eyes. I got them from BB, and that was the size it said to use for the kit. I put the eyes in to see what the baby will look like when I’m finished, and when I held his head in my hand, the eyes kinda fell back a little and were able to move around in the socket without me touching them. All I had to do was tilt the head and they’d move.

I always put my eyes in from the back and cut the bottom half of the back of the eye into a flap. When I get the eye in I use a disposable wooded chopstick and put E6000 on it and while lifting the flap up with another chopstick I put a bit of the glue under the flap, and position the eye. After that glue has set a bit and the eyes are where I want then I smear more glue all over the back of the eye so when I stuff the head I am not re-positioning the eye at all.

I insert my eyes from the front side when they are fresh out of the oven. If they are loose either maybe you cut it too much or they accidently gave you the wrong size eyes. i have made 3 drew kits and have not had any problems with eyes being too small.

Wow! After finally working up the nerve to drill my doll’s nostrils, maybe I will be able to try to put the doll’s eye’s in from the front like I have been tempted to do.
When a doll of mine had loose eyes, even when they were the right size, I cut tiny pieces of dry sponge and use long handled tweezers and shove it behind the eye behind the flap so that the sponge pressed the eye right up against the front of the eye. Then, I glued it all over the E 6000.

Desma, that’s sort of what I’ve done when I have had that problem, except that I used a little polyfil. I have also used sculpey behine and around an eye that was giving me troubles.

I was going to start my first opened eye baby on Saturday now i’m scared. Knowing me i will probably end up with a cyclops!

— Begin quote from “shroominator”

My open-eyed baby’s (Drew kit) eyes are loose in the socket. I read somewhere that you can use E-6000 to glue them in place, but how do you do it? It’s hard enough to get his eyes in there in the first place (I’m inserting them from behind like you should). I can’t imagine trying to put glue in there. Also, how much of the socket can you safely open in order to get the eyes in there easier?

— End quote

I had that exact same problem with my Drew. I had three pair of eyes, all supposed to fit him, and all three of them fit the same way, loose and moving around A LOT in the sockets. What a pain in the hiney it was! I tried poly-fil but it didn’t want to stay so I ended up using a cotton ball behind each eye and E6000’d it closed. PERFECT fit then!

I also some times try the next size up from what is recommended. To insert from the front make sure head is warm from oven and then I put mine in upper eyelid first then I push down in thew lower part. Does that make sense? If you want I will do pics next time I do eyes.

What I do when my eyes are loose I take a small piece of cardboard and fold it, then position it behind the eye and glue the flap over the cardboard and it give me a real tight fit.

I tried the cotton ball trick and it worked great! Thanks everyone!