Baby too chalky

Hi, I just finished my baby and noticed that his forearms and hands look a little bit too chalky, does anyone know why that is, and how to fix it.

Thank you very much!

If you have a chalky baby, you didn’t thin the paints enough. I’m not sure how to correct it once its done. Did you use GHSP or an air dry paint?

I used the genesis heat set paint.

Okay, I had a few spots on the kit I’m now working on that were almost chalky, I didn’t like the result so I actually pounced some acetone(you should use winsor and newton brush cleaner if possible) on the area I didn’t like then immediately washed it with dawn and water to eliminate any residue. Any layers of paint you have on it will be removed so you may need to repaint it.

Ok, maybe I’ll give it a try…thanks!

Karen, how did you “pounce” acetone on the baby and not get the whole thing stripped? Just curious. I have never pounced anything but paint or finishes on. The acetone I wipe off. Did it really work for just the area you were interested in ? I forget if you told us how many coats were on baby already? Did it only take off the layer that chalked up or did it take the whole layering off down to the vinyl?
Thanks
Joy

I haven’t try the acetone, I’m too scared, it’s just the arms and hands that are a tad too whitish, I think I’ll just try to rub it off with a bit of oil or something, it’s not that bad, so I don’t want to risk taking all the paint off.

I wiped with a q-tip actually. Then washed immediately. Guess I misused the word pounce lol

A chalky baby isnt nesicarily caused by paint thickness it can also be caused by under baking, if you still have your parts try taking a cotton bud ( i think most call them q tip) dampen it with a little water and wipe over the area ( somewhere where it wont show much if paint comes off) if the cotton bud shows paint you will need to bake your piece longer and the chalky look should disapear. If your cotton bud shows clear try using a magic eraser cloth and gently wipe over where the chalky parts are then wash, wait for them to dry and put another layer of paint and bake as normal, magic eraser cloths can be found in most supermarkets they are used for cleaning marks of walls etc, very safe to use on your babies and have saved me many times from stripping and starting again, they also great for removing shine too hope this helps xx

1 Like

This sounds great to me…thank you very much!

Hugs!

Chef, your tips are priceless! I will get that magic eraser and use it strictly for my dolls!

your welcome Lise please let us know how you go. Karen i have a pack in my reborn room at all times and one in the kitchen for the walls too they work great! lol

[attachment=0]Boy3 4x6.jpg[/attachment]

This is my boy, let me know what you think, I left him as is for now, not sure if I should retouch him or if he’s fine like this, I just thought his arms were a bit white, I don’t know.

Lise

If you are referring how they look lighter/whiter compared to his face, that’s easily remedied with more mottling/blushing.

Will do…thanks!

— Begin quote from “Chefdoeuvre Nursery”

A chalky baby isnt nesicarily caused by paint thickness it can also be caused by under baking, if you still have your parts try taking a cotton bud ( i think most call them q tip) dampen it with a little water and wipe over the area ( somewhere where it wont show much if paint comes off) if the cotton bud shows paint you will need to bake your piece longer and the chalky look should disapear. If your cotton bud shows clear try using a magic eraser cloth and gently wipe over where the chalky parts are then wash, wait for them to dry and put another layer of paint and bake as normal, magic eraser cloths can be found in most supermarkets they are used for cleaning marks of walls etc, very safe to use on your babies and have saved me many times from stripping and starting again, they also great for removing shine too hope this helps xx

— End quote

When using magic eraser to correct chalkiness, do you wet the magic eraser first?

You can always do a thin layer of the thinning medium. Pounce really well and then bake. This will take out the chalkiness. If the baby then becomes to shiney do a thin layer of the matte varnish.

2 Likes

Which thinning medium do you use to do this? The BB in the jar?