Baby #2 and baby #3

Putting along with my second and third baby. Liam and Rose.
So far, I’ve got a coat of titanium white, flesh 08, purple, blue and red mottling. I have a long ways to go, but it’s looking like Liam is taking paint better than Rose. So I may focus on one at a time now.
Still waiting on my needles to come in so I can finish rooting my 1st baby! It’s killing me to finish her.

6 Likes

Tessa, may I ask you why you put a layer of titanium white on the vinyl, what does it do, I’ve never heard of this before. Does it give a different “look” or is it just to lighten the vinyl? I swear I learn something new every day on the forum!! Always looking for good tips!! Oh, BTW, they are looking good!

4 Likes

I have no idea why I do it other than seeing it done on a couple of tutorials lol. But I believe it helps to neutralize the vinyl and give the colors after it a truer color.
I really have no clue but I will say that my kits are very neutral after putting the white and I don’t have to do all the other colors to neutralize it in the beginning.

2 Likes

Is this white layer very thin like the other washes?

Yes it’s like a milk consistency.

1 Like

Oh, OK. Thanks. I need lots of help, too! By the way, are from Louisiana?

1 Like

I would ask the same question :slight_smile:

Liam is so cute! Can’t wait to start painting him. But first I need to finish my abandon Logan… after Paisley :slight_smile:
Good job, Tessa!

1 Like

Yes ma’am!

Thank you! like Liam too. I was unsure about him because I didn’t care for his prototype pictures, but he’s a cutie. He is taking the paint so well which is nice because I struggled with my first one and I’m struggling with Rose. I wonder why some kits are like that.

1 Like

I learn something new every day too. :grin:

I have never started with a layer of titanium while or ever even did a layer of it, period. I also have never had to neutralize a BB kit. I did, however, spend half a day trying to neutralize a Tina Kewey kit that is dark orange, along with a belly plate that was a darker shade of red. :roll_eyes: I do not know why anyone makes kits this color.

3 Likes

My almost zero experience tells me that it might depend on the vinyl. Also same paint look different on different vinyls. And baking always makes colors less, at least for me. So now I am trying to make them more concentrated.

1 Like

My BB kits have all been pretty neutral too. The white is probably unnecessary but if you’re wanting to paint more than one kit at a time with the same skin tone, it’s not a bad idea to use the white because it makes the kits almost the exact same color. Im currently painting two kits and if it weren’t for the name stamped in the vinyl, I wouldnt know which limb was for who. Lol.
I’m actually quite proud of myself SO FAR with the coloring of these kits. They are looking nice. I wish I had a decent camera other than my phone that captured what I see.

3 Likes

So am I! Another person in my state who reborns. Cool. :slight_smile: I am in NW Louisiana.

1 Like

I definitely did more concerned colors on these two and it’s made a huge difference.

That’s awesome!! I’m down South!

Yep. Always nice, to me anyway, just knowing there is someone else out there in my own State who reborns! I don’t really understand it, but it just is nice. So, happy to meet another Louisianian! I am originally from West Central Louisiana – Vernon Parish.

1 Like

@Jacelyn5440 Yes it is nice. It seems everyone I’ve met is from out of state!
I live in Iberia Parish. Are you a newbie? I definitely am.

Yes. I started in March of last year. I have only done 4 dolls. Due to health issues, I am not able to work on the dolls anytime I feel like doing it. I have to wait until my body says it is OK. :slight_smile: But, it is a great hobby for me as it will still be there, right where I left it, when I get back to it. I am in Bossier Parish now. We have retired here, our kids are here and our grandkids and our great grandson. The great grandson and his mom may be moving at some point. My oldest granddaughter is moving to California soon. Her mom is not happy, and I can totally relate. We like to keep them close. But, I was a military wife, and my kids did not see their grandparents very often. But, my Mom had a way to keep them close in heart, so they always felt close to her.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story with me. I can’t tell you how much I relate. I have an autoimmune disease that also prevents me from doing things when I want. But like you, I just stop when I have to, and then start where I left off when I can. Bossier is about 3 or 4 hours away. I actually use to go there a lot because I dated someone who lived there. We may have to paint a doll together one day. (On a non flare day! Lol)