Average paint time

On average, how long does it take you to paint a doll. Just paint, not rooting, hair painting nor putting it together.

3 Likes

Forever!!! Idk how other people can whip out a dolly a day. My bones hurt too much for that!

7 Likes

Depend of the kit, details I add and creases, between 3 days and 2 weeks. I use air dry. Realborn usually take longer…

2 Likes

It usually takes me two days to paint one. When I paint one I obsess over it and paint until it is finished. Veins and then creases and shading… So usually it takes 20 plus actual hours. Then I have to let them sit because I use air dry paint and I want them to have some good drying before I seal

2 Likes

I am a fast painter, but ONLY because I have no distractions and can do 12 to 15 hour days if necessary, quite often I work early morning 8 am too 3 or 5 am the next morning stopping only for one coffee break and a half hour lunch…I crash for a day when I finish a doll…but on average for a 22 inch or smaller baby I need 48 to 50 hours for just paint. I dont stop much till I finish either, but I can relax a bit as I just root evenings.
I timed myself with the last 5 dolls I made…it def surprised me. Time does go by fast when your indulged in your craft!

5 Likes

I don’t have a “recipe” that some folks have. It’s different every time, except the getting-started bit. I’ve painted for 3 days before and felt done. Then I’ve painted for 4 weeks…

3 Likes

It typically takes me 1 to 3 days but I paint around 8-12 hours a day. Normally, I don’t get to paint on the weekends because my 4 year old nephew comes over usually.

4 Likes

For some reason my dolls end up taking about 2 weeks to paint. I have kids, so I can’t work into the night or on weekends. I use air dry paint, which I would think would be faster because there’s no baking involved, but still…

I definitely envy the folks who can churn out a doll per day.

4 Likes

When my son was in preschool it took me about a week. Now that we homeschool and he’s in taikwondo a few nights a week, it can take three weeks to more than a month to finish a doll.

4 Likes

If I paint most of the day, lets say 6 hours a day, I can paint a doll in about 10 days. However I always work on several in the same time, sometimes 4 or 5. I never paint just one, there is just too much time sitting around and waiting for paint to dry, oven to finish, and vinyl to cool. But painting several in the same time means they sit around drying and cooling longer than needed. If i painted just one, with all the time wasted, I doubt I would manage to finish it in 2 days, but I would probably manage in about 15 hours of painting time.

4 Likes

Painting only about 2 weeks.

2 Likes

Painting only with GHSP 2 weeks at least for me.

2 Likes

Caucasian babies, usually between 2-7 days. Ethnic babies take about 1-3 weeks depending on the skin tone.

2 Likes

I work full time , so it usually takes me several weeks at least.

2 Likes

It takes me a couple of weeks. I obsess over details so the creasing alone takes me 3 or 4 days.

5 Likes

2-3 weeks. And I paint for many hours, five days a week! I do tend to obsess over details as well :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It takes me less than 8 hours to completely paint an aa baby.

3 Likes

This is off topic lol, but are you still going to make a video tutorial of the beautiful color you gave your Cammie? And your technique to blending the paint with just one coat? Lol

1 Like

I use ghsp and I usually paint on weekends it takes me one-two days to finish a doll
Spaced out of course so in total before rooting 7-12 hours for one doll

1 Like

I go live on Facebook every weekend showing my colors and painting techniques. I also teach classes now and generally produce a fully painted aa baby in less than 8 hours.

2 Likes