Assembling a Cuddle Baby

I’m going to do my first cuddle baby.
Some questions:

Do you put as much weight in the cuddle reborn as a regular reborn?

Or do you stuff the entire body + limbs with polyfil?

And what about the head? If it stuffed with polyfil or do you weight it also?

TIA

2 Likes

Same as you would a regular baby except poly pellets, not glass beads, in the hands and feet. Head the same as a regular baby

3 Likes

What about the torso, contained glass beads or poly pellets?

1 Like

Plastic poly-pellets in the limbs to slightly below the knees and elbows and rest of the limbs with polyfil and body basically weigh normally. Typically my cuddle babies are 18-20 inches are 4-5lbs usually.

3 Likes

@joanne Contained glass beads just like you would a regular baby.

3 Likes

I just made One and made little pouches of glass beads for hands and feet. I felt like the Polly pellets didn’t give my limbs enough weight. I really like how this on feels. I’ll weigh her later and give y’all a weight.

4 Likes

What did you use for containers? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Knee high stockings or trouser socks doubled or tripled!

1 Like

I don’t make cuddle babies so you can probably ignore my advice lol I use tights inside of my dolls, I double or triple them usually. However the last two dolls I’ve forgotten to get the tights while I’m at the store so I’ve been sewing little pouches for the glass beads. I use flannel or whatever other fabric I have. I sew it in a tube shape for the body and a square for the head

4 Likes

I fill the limbs all the way with polypellets. I’ve been thinking about somehow weighting the limbs. I weight the head and body like I do my other babies-just a little bit lighter, but I don’t like how relatively weightless the limbs feel for the size of the body.

3 Likes

Yes! I agree. The little glass bead pouches are great!

1 Like

My phone is crazy… no idea why it said containers. Sorry! I used the trouser socks from bb.

1 Like

I’ve only made two and didn’t enjoy the process at all. I’m not good at sewing and try to avoid it at all costs lol. It took me just as long to make a cuddle baby as it does a full reborn. I do have a cuddly body or two that I need to tackle when I get extra heads but I may not get to them in my life time :joy::rofl:

2 Likes

I filled mine with baby fat pellets. He’s very squishy now.
For the head I just did what I always do.
Remember that you’ll probably need a bit more weight in the limbs than normal, as the vinyl has some weight to it as well.

2 Likes

I am going to reweigh my Easton cuddle baby for the third time, lol! The poly pellets in the limbs were too light and I packed the tummy too tight. So I am going to put glass beads in a pouch for the hands and feet, or maybe to the elbow and knee, like @Dollymommas said, then maybe poly pellets. I am also going to make a pouch of glass beads for the shoulder and top of the thigh (I read somewhere that someone said it gave a balance to the limbs). I put Baby Fat in the top of a pair of panty hose for the tummy with polyfil around it. This time I am going to pack it lighter and put Cluster Stuff around it. I am going to put a bag in the bum of poly pellets, a roll of glass beads in the middle of the body and a ball of glass beads in the neck. The head will be usual with the glass beads towards the front and the rest polyfil.

This is a note to myself. If I change anything I will post it here as I am bookmarking this, thought it may help someone else. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you for the info. I have a bunch of cuddle babies I needed to put together and they just weren’t coming out right. I actually ruined one of the custom made bodies and after that I kind of gave up on them lol. The weight just didn’t seem even and they looked and felt off balanced. I’ll give your tips a try and see if that helps. Thank you again.

2 Likes

@DancesWithDolls I am glad you are going to put them together. Please let me know how yours turn out and how you decide to stuff them.

I just put the body back together and it is much better with the glass beads in a pouch just in the hands and feet then a tiny layer of Cluster Stuff followed by Poly Pellets then Poly fil in the top. I had to do that because the opening is in the back of the leg and the pellets kept falling out. But I like it like that anyway. I didn’t do that in the arm so I am going to take the pellets out and put a layer of Cluster stuff in the wrist area. I know it will probably get mxed up in the future but it seems too tight with the pellets right after the pouch. I didn’t put the beads in a pouch in the shoulders or top of thigh because it is heavy enough for me as is.

In the body I put baby fat in a trouser sock with a knot in the middle of it so that there are two bunches together to make a bum. I put the Baby Fat stocking back in the Tummy area but this time with Cluster Stuff around it - much better. Then I have a roll of glass beads above that with the Cluster Stuff around that to the neck. I plan on putting Polyfil at the neck with another bag of glass beads for stability. Then the head as usual. This is for my Easton - that I am still rooting.

1 Like

Reviving this oldie…How do you sew the tops of the limbs together? I am using one of @RoseannsBoutique beautiful bodies and am stuck at this point. Is there any alternative to sewing it closed??

1 Like

Look up the ladder stitch. It is simple and works great for this!

1 Like