Asked to donate a doll, sick child

I received a request to donate a baby doll…during hospital visits, heart surgeries and would love to have the doll for hospital stays, the mom says she cant possibly afford one for her daughter. She said that someone from Instagram told her to contact me? I don’t use Instagram… How do I know if she is being truthful about her not being able to afford a doll and that it’s for her daughter? By the way I do not know this person, and from her facebook page (I creeped on it I’ll admit), I’ve noticed she’s not local!

1 Like

I’d walk away from this! If you want to donate to someone, call or visit a hospital.

4 Likes

I had a person ask me to accept a $35 “offer” for Corbin because she wanted him for a sick daughter.

She should be able to prove some way she is telling the truth. It’s sad these days we can’t just take people for their word anymore.

1 Like

Well if it’s for a young child, I’d think a $20 La newborn would do the job well too. Either way, I’d be wary. It could be someone trying to get a free doll.

4 Likes

it can be true…but the lady’s here have lots of similar stories …unfortunately … there is always somebody who would like a free doll

As Izzy pointed out, a La Newborn would do the trick. Reborns are normally collector dolls and not meant for children anyway. If you were inclined to donate a doll, I would suggest doing it locally so you know that your effort was for a real person and not just a lie someone told to get a doll.

Personally, if my daughter were seriously ill, I would not be spending my time going around asking for hand outs.

7 Likes

The best thing to do is to say that you don’t donate over the internet, but if she would supply you with the name of the hospital you would consider donating to the childrens ward or something like that.

5 Likes

Being a retired nurse, I think that a doll with a hard body that could be wiped down after a hospital stay would be more appropriate, like a La Newborn. I think all of us reborners have gotten several of those pleas from people that we don’t know. Personally, I agree with those that said to visit a hospital near you if you want to donate a doll and get their feedback. Also, Make a Wish Foundation would be a good place to ask about donating a doll.

1 Like

It’s tough. The reason why is that she might just be lying to get a free doll. As sad and horrible as that is. Maybe ask for a picture of the child? I’m not sure.

It’s so hard to know any more what’s a scam and what isn’t ~ I basically trust no one now.

That being said, a few years ago, my friend’s little girl had cancer & I made her an angel reborned from the Morgan kit, compete with sparkly long gown, wings, etc…and then was informed by the hospital that she could not have it in her room; too many germs. No stuffed animals in Alyssa’s room, either ~ but we were allowed to send balloons, so that’s what we did for the 4 years she battled. Sadly, we lost her in 2011 at just 8 years old.

2 Likes

That is what Make a Wish foundation is for if her daughter truly wants a reborn doll for her self. Pat

1 Like

She is on a group for Heirloom Reborns on FB, she has left comments on a hair rooting services post that was justifying the service price, she stated “…that’s why none of mine have rooted hair”. So I’m thinking she has a few?
I do donate, I’ve donated several of my Baby Dolls, I have several going this Christmas as well. I usually know when its a good thing, I’ve not been let down not once. And donating by surprise is the best! I’m hoping to have my Toys for Tots auction baby available in time this year :blush:

2 Likes

She did send me a link to her daughters journey FB page. Where she asks everyone to pay for the items on her daughters wish list. I feel bad for this little girl and for the children whose parents use them to grab free things. I have a special needs nephew in my family, and none of us have ever considered creating a page to ask for cards and whatnot. He is 15 and has the mind of a 3 to 5 year old. If he were promoted on a FB page I’m sure he would not know anything about it and would not have a wish list of his own, he doesn’t remember my name unless you clue him in on it :wink: Sure he likes toys and games too but every child does. He is loved, protected and cared for and he is happy. I don’t understand why certain families think they need to make everyone aware of their child’s disability.

4 Likes

I am so new to this and I see all these story’s out there about people that come up with some sob story about why they want a free baby. I agree that donating is a good thing and what your doing is wonderful. I have already learned to be very careful if I ever want to sell any of mine. I’m still working on my first lol

1 Like