Are there any artists living in NY (USA)?

I’m asking because I want to get my Maddie reweighted. I want to try and cut down on the postage expense as right now she weighs a lot.

Also, how much would it cost to have it done? I asked the artist to weigh her on the heavier side, but her cloth body has very little give and neither do her arms and legs. It would be a process of removing weight or distributing it correctly-not adding any weight.

(And yes, I know it’s a simple process but not one I feel comfortable doing myself.)

Thank you!

1 Like

I know that you aren’t comfortable at the moment, but I honestly would encourage you to reconsider. You have a collection going here and seem to be pretty particular about what you want. It’s okay. Lots of collectors are. The majority of them have zip ties and weighting material because they already know that they won’t be happy until they do it themselves. I’m sure there are still videos on YouTube showing the process. Have you ever watched any? It is so simple that my seven year old sometimes does this for me (I oversee and double check her work of course :wink:).

5 Likes

Are you saying I’m picky? Hunh? What in the world would make you think that?!:crazy_face::yum::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::blush::joy::rofl:

I have looked at videos. As I’ve mentioned before, I have severe anxiety and depression. Part of how it presents itself to me is having great difficulty processing things. I don’t want to start something I can’t finish or worse yet, do something that then has to be fixed.

3 Likes

Oh I am too! I have bought a couple of dolls where the weight wasn’t right. One was so light that it felt like I was holding nothing. The other was heavy, but the weight was in the behind, none in the head or shoulder area. I was not happy with them and had to redo them. The only one I bought which was a dream to hold and to look at came from a prototype artist… Now who is picky? :sweat_smile: I am equally as picky when I am assembling my dolls to sell. I don’t care how long it takes. I will sit there and fuss with them until they feel just right.

If you truly feel you can’t, I hope you find someone local to fix her up for you.

4 Likes

It’s funny how we each have in mind our “perfect “ doll but when we are having a human baby all we wish for is for it to be healthy. :yum::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

She came to me at five pounds, which did feel like I was carrying air. I asked for her to be heavier but I’m concerned that it will do something to the vinyl over time because it feels so stuffed.

2 Likes

Where in NY? It’s a pretty big state are you closer to NYC, Bronx, Manhattan, Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, pennsylvania?

1 Like

Yes where in NY?

I live in Suffolk County, Long Island.

2 Likes

You live in a beautiful place. At least it seems to me it is from pics. I haven’t been there. :slight_smile:

It is. I’m blessed.

1 Like

In no way would you be able to screw up the weighting so that someone else wouldn’t be able to reweight it for you. I say go ahead and give it a try otherwise you will never know. Since you are planning on sending it off to someone anyway you might as well try yourself first to see if you can do it and if you don’t like what you’ve done then you can ship it off. There is no way you can screw up moving some stuffing and glass beads to the point of someone else not being able to weight if for you.

6 Likes

Just do it!!!

3 Likes

Guys, some people aren’t comfortable taking apart a completed doll on their own. Seeing a YouTube vid may not build enough confidence to dismantle everything.
What if a knife slips while cutting a zip tie and the paint gets scratched?
What if you end up with beads spilling everywhere and being a slip hazard?
What if you can never get the limbs and head back on properly?

Maybe just seeing your doll in pieces is upsetting and overwhelming because it’s all on you.
Maybe you don’t want to deal with the math of putting certain amounts into each part.

Certainly there are projects that are just too taxing emotionally and you’ll gladly pay someone else to do it. It’s simple to them, but you know it would be overwhelming to you!

She’d like to pay someone to do the job. For whatever reason, it’s not comfortable to do it on her own. It wouldn’t be for me either. Sometimes we just need a dolly doctor. It feels better to us than playing surgeon.

3 Likes

The difficulty I would have (if I were in NY, but I’m in California.) would be knowing exactly how you wanted the doll to be weighted. Is it possible to find one of the artists that you’ve previously purchased from and see what they would charge for reweighting your doll in the way you prefer?

1 Like

I guess since I’m a do it yourselfer I have a different mentality and I’m willing to try to do anything myself. Just thought it might be a good opportunity for her to try it out since she was planning on sending it away anyway so thought there’d be no harm in giving it a try. Never occurred to me that it might be a traumatic experience for anyone.

7 Likes

:smile: Yes, Ladybuggirl and I are surrounded by diyers here. We’ve both posted before asking for someone to reweight/restuff and usually get people telling us to diy! It just isn’t that easy for everyone. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This exactly!!!

1 Like