Are cheap Reborns destroying the industry?

Many of you artists on here have been reborning for many, many years. I’m sure you have seen the industry change greatly. I’m interested in your thoughts of what you’re seeing now. Change is good they say, but I don’t believe all change is good. I’ve seen a lot of poor quality Reborns on Facebook. However, I’m now seeing some very nice Reborns with rooted hair and artists selling them so cheap. If artist do not protect the value of their own creation the industry in general becomes devalued. I’m interested in hearing your honest view. Are we killing our own industry?

5 Likes

I think a good worth only what people will pay for. We may think our doll worth 500$, but if nobody is willing to pay that, it’s not worth that. Sure it’s sad, but it’s the market law. We can adapt or cry.

5 Likes

I’ve been reborning since September 2019, I’m a new artist. I’ve seen many poorly made low quality reborn babies posted over the last few months and wondered why would anyone buy them. But there are also many people out there who really want a quality lovely baby and will pay a few more bucks to own one. Like in any business, marketing and branding is very important. Knewing what the customer wants is the key to being successful.

2 Likes

Not necessarily. There was a time when reborns were incredibly expensive. With BB’s prices (especially during their sales/discounts) it became easier to sell at more affordable prices. While some people can pay $500 for a doll, others can’t. So, there was a market for lower priced dolls. Some people saw this and jumped on the wagon. Now, it’s a little crowded but decent work at a good price sells pretty fast. In a way, yeah. The prices probably have affected the business for others. There are still people who will pay for flawless work. But people who will give the doll to a small child, well, I can see how it’s easier for them to lose $100 rather than $500.

2 Likes

Also keep in mind that just because the photo is of a beautifully painted baby it might not be the baby your going to get! Especially customs. I’ve seen so many artist using prototype photos of kits to sell customs saying that was what their baby was going to look like :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes