Are any of you also closeted reborn moms?

Welcome @Darkwolfe You have come to the right place to talk about your babies but beware, it is addictive. I started reborning because I got a Berenguer baby as a gift from a Day Care I used to work at and just wanted a girl for him. LOL! That was about 10 babies ago. Looking forward to seeing your new baby!

Hello @Darkwolfe and welcome to the forums. I felt the same when I ordered my first reborn and thought I wouldn’t buy one either. I saw one on Etsy that I fell in love with and yes, as I waited, I had to buy clothes for him too! I’ll tell you it is nice being able to buy clothes that you know would fit your doll! It’s so much fun!

Yeah that is a shame about your friend. People quite can be insensitive about the choices that others make, why they do things, and don’t think of what others can be going through or understand why. I wish people would think more before saying such things.

And about your husband, I know he may end up knowing sooner or later and assuming he lives with you every day, he will soon understand. My fiancé took it badly at first, thinking I’d end up being like them reborn collectors on Dr. Phil, but once exposed to it and he sees you with it, he will get used to it.

When you get your little girl though, you’ll have to share for sure!

1 Like

Thank you both for the encouraging words. I am excited to receive her and be able to share more or pictures. I am very new to everything still and this will be a kept secret for sometime I believe. Which is okay since I know it would be hard for everyone to understand why I even want one.
I would eventually like to get a silicone baby as I have read they are more realistic and better quality. I am not sure if that is true. I’ve seen some amazing artwork on even the vinyl reborn as well. I just kind of fell in love with the one I found on Etsy and rushed to get her. Nothing knowing it would take months and have to be patient, haha!
If anyone has any tops or tricks please let me know. I’m always down for suggestions. Also, I know why I bought one for myself. I’m curious to know others reasons or what they like to do with their reborn.

1 Like

There are hundreds of different kinds of dolls in the world. Why do people think that the ones that look like real babies are “creepy”? I don’t get it. There’s that Uncanny Valley thing, but that’s mostly supposed to be toward AI robotic humanoids, because they walk and talk and “think”. Babies are sweet and lovely, so why aren’t the dolls that are made to resemble them sweet also?

2 Likes

First I love to paint them. I love and paint mostly Alternatives. I don’t role play or really hold them but I love to dress and display them. I used to keep a couple in my living room but we have a new puppy so they are all in my craft room where I can keep a close eye on them. I do watch some YouTube channels where others role play and I also love to watch Box Openings from start to finish - most of the time.

My favorite Keeper and the last baby I painted.

3 Likes

@Darkwolfe - I also want a silicone baby, but I am so picky about them. It’s not just only price. I think my limit for my first is 800 to 1100, but it’s how they look. I find very few of them to be just as cute as the reborns. (Maybe because reborns have more expression in their face.). I have a few that I am attracted to on Etsy and I’d love to buy maybe later this year.

Then for ideas to do with reborns:

I love to role play with them sometimes. I don’t have a fancy crib or anything like that. I got two bean bag chairs (Big Joes) we got from Walmart and I just make them cute and set them in that as a “bed”. Then from time to time, I may choose one to sleep with in bed for the night or be in the chair by my computer chair. Mine are also very well dressed, especially my boys. I admit, I neglect my girls when it comes to clothes, but when I clothes shop, I am more drawn in to the boys clothes than the girls.

Every now and them my fiancé or I would place one or two on the sofa to watch a TV show or movie. Then it would end up on the sofa for days lol.

Most of the time, especially since I work during the week, they sit where they are until the weekend. I think myself I could do more with them. It’s been a week since mine has been dressed. I used to change them daily, but with work and after work demands, I never get around to them until the weekend.

1 Like

I’m a semi-closeted reborn mom. I live with my parents so of course they know I reborn. I’ve been a doll collector since birth and played with them long into my teens but didn’t discover reborning until my late 20s which has been so much fun. They think I’m strange but they play along and don’t really get on me about it or anything. I’ve been strange my whole life so it’s not like it would change now. My aunt knows I reborn since she’s a fan of them as well. My sister knows but doesn’t really care because she has her own unique hobbies. Her husband is an a-hole and thinks it’s really creepy, but he can stfu because he’s a tornado chaser which I think is just really stupid…so to each their own. My brother and his wife have NO idea, my friends have NO idea and my coworkers have NO idea. I am content with who knows and who doesn’t.

In general, I understand this that is a very unique hobby that a lot of people just will not understand and will not care to understand. I would stay away from Reddit because they REALLY don’t care for reborning on there. I’m right there with you for kind of using this hobby as therapy. I’ve wanted to be a mom since forever, but that dream will likely not happen for me, so reborning does help me with that pain. I’m kind of at the point in my life where I want to live for MY happiness, not adjusting my life to make other people happy. Creating and collecting dolls makes me happy, who cares what other people think. I guarantee the haters do stuff that’s just as strange, but just keep it secret.

5 Likes

My kids take their babies out from time to time, but mostly, they all stay home. I love dressing g them all up, though. Here’s my Harmony (Easton kit I made) alldressed in fun new clothes! :heartpulse::heartpulse:

3 Likes

@amgarlough - I can understand what you mean. You cannot make anyone happy and you cannot make everyone accept you. Like your brother in law, people got all kinds of hobbies, lots of people think mine are stupid but theirs also are stupid. Like some people are like “How do you spend so much on dolls”, yet they spend $300 a month on night clubs, drinks, and new outfits to wear each time they go there.

Do whatever makes you happy because no one else will. I am glad that your parents accept it and your aunts love it. That makes it all the more fun, actual physical people to share with, whether they are the biggest fan of it or not. Hell, I try to take interest in everyone else’s stupid hobbies I feel, and just because the majority of people aren’t into mine doesn’t make it fair they can just shut me down.

My mom, my fiancé just let it slip that I have a doll, and she accepts it but I think she feels more sorry for me, since she knows what I went through. She says I always have been collecting beanie babies and other things since I was a child though.

@Miss_Kitty - Harmony looks so freaking cute, especially with that big bow on her head! You did a good job on her! I just got done dressing up my dolls myself that I’d love to show off.

2 Likes

Post pics! :heartpulse::heartpulse::heart_eyes:

1 Like

I would think they would be great to work with children with dolls.

@Miss_Kitty - Here are my pictures of the little ones. Had a busy night one day. My fiancé said he wanted to get his “Toyborns” lol - the whole entire Toy Story collectible signature collection of Woody, Buzz, the aliens, army men, Jessie, and Bullseye.

He kept trying to justify it saying it’s like my reborns and I told him I don’t care because I know how it is lol. Was out all night at Target getting them.

So here are my pictures:

Ollie (Ginger) in his cute outfit:

Then we have Autumn (Dominic) who is a doll:

Then there is Gabriel (3mo Joseph):

Then Troy (Asher):

Then Adin (used to be Manny but my fiancé renamed him. His favorite) his sculpt is Isabella with his new outfit from Target to match him. He is our hipster baby:

Then Annaliese who needs to put on her new outfit. I got her a tea Rex one from Target last night:

4 Likes

Omg they’re all so cute and I love their outfits!!

@913gigi44 They are all so adorable, my favorite outfit is Adins, and I love his hat! All of them have awesome hair!